• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

interested in a DOS HDD over LAN backup prog?

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
i've been thinking about writing a program for doing a sector for sector backup of hard drives over a network (or serial port) from DOS. like have a windows server receiving the data and storing it for keeping on the comp or burning to a CD/DVD...

it would also let you restore it sector for sector right back over the network. just use a floppy boot disk with the prog on it if your drive goes bad...

if there is interest i would write this, i'm almost tempted to do it just for myself. i think it'd be a good tool for old machines with drives on the edge of failure like XT's, et al.

The hard part of this one is getting all your LAN software and your software if you do it, all on one boot floppy. As I have found, when you need to restore the hard drive, there's usually not much left of the drive. "Ghost" works great for me. Of course, one has to spend some money to get Ghost.

The hard part of this one is getting all your LAN software and your software if you do it, all on one boot floppy. As I have found, when you need to restore the hard drive, there's usually not much left of the drive. "Ghost" works great for me. Of course, one has to spend some money to get Ghost.

no, no... you'd just need a packet driver and ntcpdrv.exe on the boot floppy... my program would handle all the TCP communication. i was going to write my own custom server program for windows to connect it to.

no need for the MS Net client or anything.

Back