• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

interlnk/intersvr alternative?

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
until i get a SCSI hard drive going on my XT clone, i've been using interlnk to "fake" a hard drive on that thing... it's working awesomely, but slow. (about the same as a floppy)

is there an alternative to interlnk and intersvr? something that does about the same thing, but supports faster than 115200 baud? i think the serial IO card i'm using on the machine supports up to around 1 Mbps, and so does my athlon 64's serial port that is acting as the intersvr.

btw, i didn't have a null modem cable... just a straight serial cable, but with some scissors and electrical tape i turned it into a null modem :)

How about Ethernet cards and a simple program to copy data back and forth?

How about Ethernet cards and a simple program to copy data back and forth?

well yeah of course i could use MS Net Client if i wanted, but i wanna be able to use the net card for other stuff while i have a mapped drive. the ethernet thing wouldnt work cuz the whole reason i'm doing this is to get more storage space than dual 3.5" floppies can provide.

this is good enough i guess. i shouldn't have started a topic about it. sorry.

I agree that a laplink cable is about as fast as a hard drive on an XT.

I would say hookup a laplink cable (null printer cable :) ) and cheer with the almost 8x speed increase over serial.

Cheers
Ryan

I agree that a laplink cable is about as fast as a hard drive on an XT.

I would say hookup a laplink cable (null printer cable :) ) and cheer with the almost 8x speed increase over serial.

Cheers
Ryan

laplink fast as a hard drive? not in my experience lol. maybe on a non-XT... it doesn't like bps rates over 9600 :(

i'm happy now though, i am using a network drive on it now via 3com etherlink II :)

i stuck a second NIC in there (an old NE1000 compatible) for use with other programs while the drive is mapped on the other card. i had to pull out my sound card to do it, but oh well lol. not a very big IRQ map to choose numbers from on an XT

it's blazing fast!

Back