• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Internals of a Tiki 100 (AKA. Kontiki 100)

per

Veteran Member
The reason I post this here, is becuase of the fact that the Tiki-100 run a CP/M clone called KP/M (later known as "Tiko"). KP/M is entirely written in Z80 Assembly in Norway and completely independent of CP/M, however, KP/M it is said to be 100% CP/M 2.2 compatible.

Anyways, I just got my Tiki-100, and I have now tested it. What I can conclude with is that the machine works, but the RF-modulator is problably broken (the composite out connector is missing, but it gives a valid signal at least). I will consider to make a 6-pin DIN to SCART adapter for it, because then I get better quality graphics, or solder in a new composite connector.

It contains an analog/digital interface card, which is that extra connector you see in the pictures provided by QuantumII (above the serial/parallel ports).

Anyways, here are some pictures.

Attachments

• RIMG0011.jpg
    RIMG0011.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1
  • RIMG0013.jpg
    RIMG0013.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1
  • RIMG0004.jpg
    RIMG0004.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2
  • RIMG0003.jpg
    RIMG0003.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2
  • RIMG0020.jpg
    RIMG0020.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2
Just for you who are curious why the image is displayed on a VGA monitor. Due to a recent water-damadge in our house, we had to pack away everything in our living-room (including our TV). Because of this, I was using the Pinnacle TV-card in my recent PC when testing the machine, hence the output on a VGA monitor.

And here is how I had to connect the composite cable:

Attachments

• RIMG0019.jpg
    RIMG0019.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
  • RIMG0009.jpg
    RIMG0009.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1
Yes, but can you sail it from Peru to French Polynesia? :)

That's a little problematic, yea... I guess that's why Thor sued Kontiki Data quite early on, making them change their name to Tiki Data, and the machine's name to Tiki-100.

Hi! Thanks!

I spy with my little eye... a socketed Z80! Your Tiki-100 would be a good candidate for the ECB to Z80 socket board.

Are you up for home brew project to add IDE or uSD to your computer?

Please let me know if interested! Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Actually, it's a socketed Mostek MK3880N-4 Z80-equalent.

When it comes to the homebrew stuff, I'll have to say nothanks for now. It would be really difficult to fit more than one small board inside the unit, and the Teac FD-55 class of FDDs are known to be quite reliable (as of I have understood). I will also have problems getting time for it the following year due to school (13th grade is for most people the final grade before university in Norway).

Yay, way to go on testing the Tiki-100 :) Maybe there are some cold solder joints which keeps the RF box non-working. Hope you get some fun from this machine. Also, let us know if you get more floppies from it.

Are you able to exit the geographic program so that you get a command line?

EDIT: Oh, I need to change my signature now that you are the proud owner of the Tiki-100.

Yay, way to go on testing the Tiki-100 :) Maybe there are some cold solder joints which keeps the RF box non-working. Hope you get some fun from this machine. Also, let us know if you get more floppies from it.

Are you able to exit the geographic program so that you get a command line?

EDIT: Oh, I need to change my signature now that you are the proud owner of the Tiki-100.

I don't know, but I think I will go for fixing the composite plug since that's easier to "set up" (no need for channel-scanning).

I can in fact exit the loading sequence, something that returns me to Tiko. After doing a "dir/kat", I see that the disk only contains some utilities to change the number of characters per line (and the character-width at the same time), and some BASIC version. After what I have heard, it is a clone of the popular "BBC-BASIC".

Back