• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Intertec Superbrain hard disk

To create a working CP/M with a HD in the Superbrain from scratch you need:
Create a working bootdisk which has the modified CP/M ASM file linked-in, that ASM file has BDOS and BIOS modified with all HD parameters and I/O, where the floppy is assigned the A: drive in the ASM file.

You need to have the original CP/M sysgen file (floppy only), the HD BIOS BDOS ASM file, ASM assembler, Linker, DDT and an editor.

To format the HD, as I recall, there should be a file something like "R6DTEST.COM"
The format program is stand alone, you do not need to have CP/M linked already to recognise the HD.

Prerequisite is the possession of the files mentioned.

Hello Ton,

Thanks for your explanation...

"Prerequisite is the possession of the files mentioned." Well that is exactly the problem.
I'm afraid I don't have any of these files.

That's why I've put a sysgen from the harddisk onto a floppy . Here should be all the HD information I think.
Maybe it's possible to get the files from there, but that's probably the hardest way. But the only way for
me at this moment. And still I would not have the formattool...

Better scrap the thing ;)

Regards, Roland

The BDOS is never (afaik!) modified when generating a new CP/M system - the BIOS is. Find a copy of The Soul of CP/M - it has a very clear description of how to modify a BIOS and get it installed on a bootable disk.

g.

The BDOS is never (afaik!) modified when generating a new CP/M system - the BIOS is. Find a copy of The Soul of CP/M - it has a very clear description of how to modify a BIOS and get it installed on a bootable disk.

g.

Hi, the story continuous.

@geneb
Sure, you're right, the bdos functions remain the same but the routines itself need some pointer modifications to the added drive's. It has been a long time since I was handling these modifications. I do not recall by head exactly. I need to have a look at the source files I still have to be sure. But.... not that important to me right now, so I will lay back and give my mind new things to work out.

@Roland
The machine you have was back in the 80's adapted to operate, via a trafo, at 220V. During time the mains here in NL has slowly increased. You should ckeck whether the installed trafo has a pin to operate at 230V or 240V. The SB powersupply was not that rock-solid to handle a delta in input voltage. It preferred to stick to 110V.
As you know capacitors suffer aging. Probably when you got the machine you plugged it into the mains directly, not realizing it has been set aside for a long long time. All capacitors got, since a long time, a sudden charge to handle, especially the ones in the switching powersupply got an overvoltage. I hope the electronics have survived the overvoltage boost.
So again: Check your voltages !! 5V is the only adjustable, the other ones will follow. Check ripple (bad capacitors), HF (not really HF, the swching pwrsupply freq) component!!
Check your molex connectors to the drives. These could be crap after been plugged in/out repeatedly.
//quote
Better scrap the thing ;)
//unquote

Not needed to my opinion. Just handle with care and be a little patient.
First be sure the machine is fully operational on floppy only. Run floptest, memtest etc etc

Regarding your bootfloppy and linked-in HD:
I do have all the files to generate you a floppy. I'm the only one on this planet with the correct asm source files probably, as I didn't give my hard work back in those days to others.
However due to some set-back on my health, I don't have the needed setup right now, so it takes some time.

Just let me know.

Ton Hekstra
"AND-0FH" Hard/Software Solutions

@Roland

Another way could be: Let's get together. Your place or mine, and I will make you a working SB with HD. (assuming you have a good working HD which supports buffered step)

pls drop me a PM to work it out.

Ton Hekstra
"AND-0FH" Hard/Software Solutions

Back