• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IRC Chat?

With about a month of work and a bit of tweaking and preferences I could make my own IRC chat server with my computer with Just Basic.But I know it would only work with Windows becuase it would use Windows messenger.If I could get a free copy of Liberty Basic I could have it done it 2-3 weeks.

During that month, if you feel like taking a break...
Some of us get together on Mike's server on Friday or Saturday nights
(US time, although the server seems to be up all the time anyway).

Server: retrobox.scieron.com
Channel: #vc
(Use the same userid you use here on the forum)

Ive never been in a IRC chat but im guessing its like a chatroom and what IRC client do I have to have?I dont have one yet.Im free from 9:30-11 pm everyday and throughout the week.

It doesn't matter what IRC client you use. Just pick one that works with your operating system.
(see the link I posted above)
Personally, I run Linux and use a client called BitchX (really).

Fire up your client, set your username to be the same as your ID here (so we recognize you),
connect to Mike's server and join the #vc channel. Piece of cake.

With about a month of work and a bit of tweaking and preferences I could make my own IRC chat server with my computer with Just Basic.But I know it would only work with Windows becuase it would use Windows messenger.If I could get a free copy of Liberty Basic I could have it done it 2-3 weeks.

i actually wrote an IRC server in quickbasic 7.1 that works (as ahm has seen for himself:D ) but i dont really have any DOS machine set up permanently right now and i just run ircd-hybrid on a p233 linux box since i know thats gonna be stable...

the QB server was just a boredom-induced project more than anything.

btw having hostname issues again... connect with 68.184.216.98 i'm going to set up a different hostname elsewhere.

Some of us get together on Mike's server on Friday or Saturday nights (US time, although the server seems to be up all the time anyway).

Server: retrobox.scieron.com
Channel: #vc
(Use the same userid you use here on the forum)
Unless I've already gone to sleep by then, maybe I'll try to check it out toníght. Is that Friday evening on the East or West coast? 8 PM EST is like 2 AM over here, while 8 PM PST would be more like 5 AM.

It looks like Mike's server is down.
I guess that's what I get for saying it's usually up.

sorry guys the box it was running on crapped out and had buffering issues on eth0 but i switched it to a new machine w/ a new NIC!

I'd be game to give it a try, although I wouldn't be able to log-in until fairly late on Saturdays.

Unless I can get an irc chat client for my Nokia N800, and I can persuade my friend to open those ports on his firewall...

Uh guys, how about switching to a real IRC network? This is cute, but it behaves more like a submarine - it is down more often than it is up. ;-)

Back