• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is there a BBS setup up for testing purposes?

Moogle!

Experienced Member
I got my first modem in 15 years, a Tandy AC-4 acoustic coupler (and a retro handset connected to cell phone). By the time I came along in the world of computing, 56k click-and-connect was the way things were done, so this whole modem/serial port/terminal thing is new to me, and I'd rather not spam someone's BBS and unnecessarily tie up their line trying to figure out various hardware/software settings. (So far I managed to get Level 29 to give me one mostly readable sentence)

Any documentation and tutorials someone might have to share would also be appreciated.

(incidentally, if anyone was considering one of those retro handsets, beware that some of them are SLIGHTLY longer than the Western Electric handsets they mimic)

AFAIK, Level 29 connects at 2400 bps tops. If you're using mobile or VoIP, things may not be much better--and even wired phone service may not give you what you want; certainly not 56K.

I'm not trying to get 56K. I'm using the Acoustic coupler, which runs at 300 baud. I can only get the welcome message, and anything else is garbage. The question was to find a BBS to call multiple times without worrying about annoying the operator or other users while calling multiple times while trying new settings.

Currently trying it with a cell phone and one of those retro handsets, which FozzTexx says on his website isn't entirely reliable, I haven't attempted any other BBS yet.

I'm working on a test setup for my old modems too. I'm putting up a cheap freepbx box (asterisk based, can run on a Raspberry PI-3 afaik) and a cheap ($10 or so) dual port analog to voip telephone adapter (cisco 2102). In principle, the PBX adapters can link together over the internet to someone else having a BBS setup or other analog modems and we could try connecting to each other analog lines. However, with two analog lines, I can test modems indipendently at home. I'm setting the best voip codec supported on the analog adapter (G.711) so old V.21 and similar modulations should pass unaffected.
If interested, drop me a private message and we can share the informations.
Frank IZ8DWF

Back