• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Is there an ethernet S-100 card?

rorypoole

Veteran Member
As it would be useful to have ethernet in an S-100 bus computer!

Last edited:

MikeS

Veteran Member
As it would be useful to have ethernet in an S-100 bus computer!
Yes, there were several; Cromemco also made one.

I personally use Lantronix RS-232<>Ethernet transceivers; no special drivers needed, useable on any system with an RS-232 port, and just the ticket for remote console or terminal access over the 'net via Telnet etc.

Used them to log into an S-100 system in Australia with my Tandy M100 here in Toronto.

monahan_z

Experienced Member
I could probably do something easily in hardware, my question is what software would be required for Z80, 8086 80286, 80386 or higher/

rorypoole

Veteran Member
Yes, there were several; Cromemco also made one.

I personally use Lantronix RS-232<>Ethernet transceivers; no special drivers needed, useable on any system with an RS-232 port, and just the ticket for remote console or terminal access over the 'net via Telnet etc.

Used them to log into an S-100 system in Australia with my Tandy M100 here in Toronto.

thanks for the info, it would be more cool to have an S-100 bus computer plugged directly into my network, but an RS-232<>Ethernet transceiver would be a good backup!

glitch

Veteran Member
I believe I've also seen a 3Com Ethernet board for the S-100 bus. It was installed in a Zenith Z-100 system, likely being used with MS-DOS.

MikeS

Veteran Member
thanks for the info, it would be more cool to have an S-100 bus computer plugged directly into my network, but an RS-232<>Ethernet transceiver would be a good backup!
If you're up to writing the necessary drivers and software by all means have fun, but I'm afraid I don't see the point myself of all that work, taking up a slot and spending the money that involves instead of just mounting a small pcb on the back panel...

But to each his own; how's that core board coming along?

rorypoole

Veteran Member
If you're up to writing the necessary drivers and software by all means have fun, but I'm afraid I don't see the point myself of all that work, taking up a slot and spending the money that involves instead of just mounting a small pcb on the back panel...

But to each his own; how's that core board coming along?
I have not got to the weaving stage, still working on the pdp8