• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is there an ISA accelerator for 486->P1 or above?

Raven

Veteran Member
I am considering the possibility of finding and installing an accelerator card into my T6600C to give it the horsepower to run Win95 or 98 more comfortably, and if Win98, my 802.11g wifi card will work (and it will do flash, etc., probably not well, but hey!) whereas I only have Win3x and 802.11b right now (don't get me wrong, that's fun too).

Anywho I just did research into PCI accelerators after someone mentioned one in another of my threads, and I thought since everyone seems to think the ISA ones are more common, perhaps there was one my T6600C could make use of.

Any suggestions?

Don't know about any ISA accelerators like this, but Evergreen made drop in 485 -> 586 CPU upgrades. Actualyl saw one at a garage sale a few years ago.

Since PCI and VLB made their appearance on 486 systems, the problems of accessing either via the ISA bus are hard to ignore. While one could probably use the host CPU to access I/O devices, that arrangement would not be compatible with Windows 3.1 or later. Essentially, this restricted one to plug-in CPU replacements, which was a pretty good strategy started in the 386 systems (e.g., the 386DX2, DX4 CPUs)

It's true that 486 ISA-interfaced SBCs do exist for industrial systems, but there speed is less of a concern than serviceability (i.e., since the backplane is passive, you just pop out the CPU card and pop a new one in). You couldn't really call the SBCs "accelerators"

Back