• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just bought a 2.5 inch PATA SSD for my Thinkpad 770. I wonder if it will work:

sean1978

Experienced Member
After tooling around on an old Thinkpad 770 I got from a coworker I found a ton of bad sectors on the HDD. I figured I'd try a cheap 16 GB SSD ($35 shipped) from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zheino-2-5-PATA-IDE-SSD-16GB-for-Dell-D610-D810-IMB-X32-T43-Repalce-WD2500BEVE-/171568253697?hash=item27f243cb01:g:gLUAAOSwHnFVtJi1

Do you guys think it will work? If it does I suspect the OS will boot pretty quickly. I'm going to be running either windows 95 or 98 on this machine.

If I can't get it to work I have some newer stuff in the closet this will probably be an upgrade for also.

My TransNote had no issues with a 32gb model. You should be fine so long as you don't have a BIOS-set size limitation over 8gb.

It'll be interesting to see how fast it is. I've thought about getting a similar device for my DOS PCs, but I suspect given the price they are likely to be quite slow. But perhaps they will still be faster than a hard drive from this era!

Alright. I got it in, and it works perfectly in my Pentium 233 MMX Thinkpad. w/ Windows 95. What sort of benchmark would be good for getting some performance numbers to you guys?

Interesting. I just took an old Dell Dimension 3000 with 2GB 40ns RAM and replaced the HDD with a 120GB SATA SSD. The Dimension 3000 only has an IDE interface, so I used a SATA to EIDE drive adapter and it worked. I loaded DOS7 and Windows 3.11 with about 50 DOS and Windows applications. I also upgraded the CPU from a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 to a 3.4GHz -the build is instant on everything. I don't know what to benchmark with it either. I'll likely load a few other OS's on the drive next using BootIt BareMetal.

Regards,
Mike

The older Thinkpads are limited in speed bandwidth so getting a super fast SSD will not speed things up that much more then a later model IDE 2.5" HD (which is much faster then a stock 770 HD).

Back