• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just found out I bought a fake cache 486 board

PC Chips hacked the BIOS to say "Write Back Cache On" during POST when, in fact, no L2 cache was installed. They also soldered the BIOS chip to the motherboard to prevent people from replacing it with a non-hacked BIOS.
My board was not apparently made by PC Chips (unless that is who "Full Yes" really is). It appears to have a real SiS 85C471 chipset. The BIOS ROM is socketed, but some of the jumpers mentioned in the online documentation for the board are soldered in. And the BIOS is hacked to lie about the cache.

PC Chips M919, i've got 2 of them, both are the snappiest 486 boards I've ever owned. complete with fake cache, AND a slot for a coast module, which is memory serves was proprietary to these boards. I have one coast module between the 2 of then, and when, and i mean when, the coast work right, the board down right lays the rubber to the beige case.

PC Chips M919, i've got 2 of them, both are the snappiest 486 boards I've ever owned. complete with fake cache, AND a slot for a coast module, which is memory serves was proprietary to these boards. I have one coast module between the 2 of then, and when, and i mean when, the coast work right, the board down right lays the rubber to the beige case.

The M919 was the last new 486/5x86 board you could buy, and it was dirt cheap. Usually they have no trouble running an AMD 5x86 at 150 or 160 MHz. Some have even claimed that 200 MHz (60 x 4) is possible by using an undocumented clock frequency jumper position.

ah, so I'm not the only one that has issues with the coast module. Mine usually reports 256k cache but if I run somthing like cachechk it reports no l2 cache.

I just sold my last one but yeah both were insanely fast and had a tonne of memory bandwidth.

Back