• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

K6-2 K6-III Linux build

So my K6-2 pooped itself. Replaced it with a backup chip (Cyrix MII-300). Booted Xubuntu 12.04 from USB using PLOP, and made it to desktop loading before it locked up due to insufficient RAM (machine only has 163, needs 256).

Should work for you.

Well, life got in the way of this project. I had to put it on hold. Last Nov I started another Linux build based on a new mobo - ASUS Prime Z790M-Plus D4 & the i9-13900KF and 128GB RAM. This project got put on hold as well. Things are better so last week I started on it and decided to get this one done ase well. I hope to have it done in the next 10 days, pending the arrival of some more hardware parts.

I ran a server for a radio station for live streaming audio on a K6-II 400 in a VA-503+ motherboard that I just decommissioned .... [snip] [/CODE]

I have two of those boards in use right now running IBM PC-DOS 7. Around 2001ish I must have build 10 computers with the VA-503+ mobo for my company A very solid work horse board!

As for this project I've put it back in the active projects pile and I am chasing a few more parts. I just bought a Cyrix M II-333GP 75Mhz Bus and an AMD K6-2/550AGR CPUs because, well I could. I hope that they work :)

I've decided to triple boot this build with IBM PC-DOS 7, Windows 98SE, and Linux using GRUB2. Since it will be on a KVM switch with 3 other computers, the monitor is a 1600 x 1200. I am fairly certain that the on-board VGA can do 1600 x 1200 with Win98SE but was wondering if the older versions Linux drivers could do 1600 x1200. Plan B would be to drop a PCI video card that has both Win98SE and Linux drivers. This comes at a price as all slots are filled:

Asus P5-99VM Slot plan:

ISA Slot - IBM MGA card with parallel port

PCI 3 - Firewire 1394A card

PCI 2 - USB2 4 port Card

PCI 1 - Linksys 10/100 Ethernet Card

None of the boards can be pulled without hurting someting elese. The Firewire card attaches to an external FW hard drive that is where I back up all the software. Place C would be to use a USB2 external drive and dumb the 1394 for a VGA card. Thoughts?

TIA!

Last edited:
Back