• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro confusion

Mr.Amiga500

Experienced Member
I just bought my second Kaypro. I already had a Kaypro II - which has software and works just fine. The new Kaypro, which I thought was a Kaypro II, turned out to be a Kaypro 2. This Kaypro had no software, but I assumed the Kaypro II software would work in it. I was wrong. When I try to load, I just get an error message.

Does Kaypro II software not work in a Kaypro 2 or is there something wrong with the Kaypro 2's drive?

Another question: from what I've read, I thought the Kaypro 2 didn't have a built-in modem. Mine does. Is this a strange version or was the information I read inaccurate? If so, is there a good Kaypro site that has accurate information on the different models?

Later version, different mainboard, different BIOS required = different CP/M boot disk.

II didn't even have the capability to see the 2nd side of FDD's without mucho hacking, 2 mostly needs just a ROM upgrade+DS/DD FDD's and you're good. The II was basically a copy of the Ferguson Big-Board, whereas the 2 series were MUCh improved.

They made the II, the 2-'83, 2-'84, also known as the 'New 2', and then you get into the 2x, etc..

The II/2's were basically the entry-level machine, with SS/DD FDD's factory.
the IV/4 had DS/DD, as did the 1, which ironically, was the last Kaypro CP/M machine manufactured.

So basically ya got, without bringing in the super-rare models, the II, IV, 2/83,2/84,4/83,4/84,2x,10/83,10/84,10-MTC,1. As I said, we won't discuss the 4x and Robie, as I've never even actually SEEN one....

To quote Yoda :)
"Confusion with Kaypro's, there is much"

T

To quote Yoda :)
"Confusion with Kaypro's, there is much"

To quote Darth Vader:
"Holy friggin crap!"

(...well.. maybe he didn't actually say that)

It appears I have the "New 2", but my confusion hasn't ended. One site says the New 2 has only one floppy drive and another site says the New 2 doesn't have a built-in modem. My New 2 has two floppies and built-in modem.

It looks like I'm going to have a hell of a time tracking down software for this thing - if each model has its own boot floppy. As Luke Skywalker said, "That sucks!"

Well, it ain't quite THAT bad...

Put up some pics of the mainboard, and I'll tell you which you have.
Also, provide me the number on the ROM chip - it'll be near center of the mainboard, with a white sticker on it, and a number, like 81-292 or something like that. Mainbard should also have a number on it, but a good portion do not. The only have the 81- silkscreened on the board, and the underlined area next to it is empty.

Keep in mind, there IS a difference between a II and a 2, and a new 2.
Much more so between a II and anything else, really.

The only CP/M machine that I recall Kaypro ever making with only ONE floppy drive is the kaypro 10, which had a hard disk. A a-drive, floppy-only, CP/M-based machine is dang near useless, unless you sysgen each floppy, and have the OS on every floppy. Back then, this woulda' consumed what? 10K or so? on a 90K SS/SD floppy, that sucks!

Now, briefly:

If the memory is on the front left (as you look at the front of the machine) and socketed, probably a 2/84.
If all the connectors are all the way on the right edge (again, as you look at the front), including (front to rear) fdd,
50-pin (may be only solder holes - may actually have a connector) header, the power, then it's an '84.
'84 will also have an slightly empty section in front right corner, with outline of where a battery goes.

here's a pic of the mainboard for a Kaypro 10-'84/MTC:

IMG_1238.jpg

Has all the traits of an '84:
Socketed RAM in front-left.
ROM just left of center
Connectors all lined up on right side
Gap for battery front right just inside the FDD connector

T

Last edited:
Back