• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

KIM-1 Arrived

falter

Veteran Member
Finally got here!

First (uneducated) impressions-- this was maybe some kind of OEM unit used for a specific application? It had a bunch of 'tables' on the back, "Trace Conditioning, Delay Conditioning and Long Delay Conditioning) with programming codes.

Didn't fire it up... I understand it needs 5V (I assume DC) in... just not sure what modern day power supply I could use (standard AC to DC adapter?).

Has a really long rainbow ribbon cable with a 20 pin (female) connector on the end of it. Speaker wires (?) and what I was told was an EPROM? I wonder if this thing was rigged up for video output on a monitor?

It's mounted on a sturdy piece of wood and under a plexi case.

Here are the pics... maybe you guys have some ideas as to why it's a bit different than others and what it was used for. Also can we clear up if it's still MOS or Commodore? The board is REV D, but I'm not sure up to what revision it was MOS.

Thanks.. here's the link:

http://www3.telus.net/~bhodge07/kim1/

I had forgotten that there was a computer called KIM-1.. until I saw this posting. I remember it from the old magazines (probably Personal Computer World, the old, good ones, not the later boring ones). But that's all I remember.. all my nice magazines way back to the seventies went into the garbage, unfortunately. So I only remember the name itself, and I recognize the look from the first picture there. (I may actually have seen one in the wild, now that I think about it.)

I had forgotten that there was a computer called KIM-1.. until I saw this posting. I remember it from the old magazines (probably Personal Computer World, the old, good ones, not the later boring ones). But that's all I remember.. all my nice magazines way back to the seventies went into the garbage, unfortunately. So I only remember the name itself, and I recognize the look from the first picture there. (I may actually have seen one in the wild, now that I think about it.)

I was too young at the time to notice. Probably would have thought it to be a calculator. I must say though it's pretty fascinating to have one after only seeing it in virtual museums for all these years. There's always that weird moment when you open the box and realize its dimensions are completely different than what you were expecting from photos. :)

Back