• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Latest addition - IBM Model 77s

TomFCS

Experienced Member
Well, I decided to go on a hunt for a Model 80 floppy at several local computer shops today, no luck there, but after looking thru more boxes of junk than I have in a long time, I ended up coming home with this Model 77.

Gave the guy $12.00 for it. Blew out the big dust and it fired right up.

Intel 486 66 MHz DX2
128k external cache
32 bit MCA
IBM SurePath Bios - #06h8833 - 07/06/95 - Revision Level 07
16 meg ram
1024k on board video
533 meg SCSI HD (IBM logo, can't see more info right now without pulling it...)
2.88 FD - booted to dos 6.22 system master ok.
Win 95 stock install (except for somebody's old AOL account).
BNC type network card. (says toshiba on it...)

It's kind of dirty but I don't see any serious scratches or gouges in it anywhere. It looks like it should clean up pretty well. It might not be all that old but I still thought it was a pretty good find.

Well, I decided to go on a hunt for a Model 80 floppy at several local computer shops today, no luck there, but after looking thru more boxes of junk than I have in a long time, I ended up coming home with this Model 77.

Gave the guy $12.00 for it. Blew out the big dust and it fired right up.

Intel 486 66 MHz DX2
128k external cache
32 bit MCA
16 meg ram
1024k on board video

It's kind of dirty but I don't see any serious scratches or gouges in it anywhere. It looks like it should clean up pretty well. It might not be all that old but I still thought it was a pretty good find.

¨Lacuna¨ planar. The ´s´ is for SCSI, from the installed ¨Patriot¨ (rebranded Future Domain SCSI adapter). Without a SCSI card installed the Lacuna (3x3 case is a Model 76, 5x5 case is a Model 77) is an ´i´ (for the planar IDE).

The BNC adapter is 3270 emulation, kind of useless these days unless you have a mainframe to plug into...

The BIOS isn´t quite the latest version, but can be flashed...

The other type of 76/77 (planar IBM SCSI, XGA-2 video adapter) is called a ¨Bermuda¨.

Lucky you

Lucky you

Very nice. You're lucky. These models (56/76 and 57/77) do not appear to be very common. Someone has been posting to many local craigslist.org sites looking for a PS/2 Model 77. And it looks like you have a nice collection of CD drives.

I've got one of these too. Nice machine to run OS/2 on. For some reason the white rubber feet on the bottom are dissolving and leave a sticky residue wherever I set it down. Definitely a nice PS/2 for the collection.

And it looks like you have a nice collection of CD drives.

Looks sorted, too. The left stack is drives of a certain yellow, the right stack are 0 yellow. Do the stacks continue to the left, with drives getting yellower and yellower?

Thats a very nice IBM PS/2 77. How different were the keys between machines? I tried my PS/2 80 key on my 70 and PC AT but to no luck. Regardless, a teacher tells me of a mythical ziplock bag she has SOMEWHERE full of them. She's on the hunt for me.

You're lucky to have such computer shops around. The ones here sprung up recently, and, of course, only have fairly recent computers. Theres a place 3 hours away that sells vintage stuff overpriced I buy from now and then.

--Ryan

¨Lacuna¨ planar. The ´s´ is for SCSI, from the installed ¨Patriot¨ (rebranded Future Domain SCSI adapter). Without a SCSI card installed the Lacuna (3x3 case is a Model 76, 5x5 case is a Model 77) is an ´i´ (for the planar IDE).

The BNC adapter is 3270 emulation, kind of useless these days unless you have a mainframe to plug into...

The BIOS isn´t quite the latest version, but can be flashed...

The other type of 76/77 (planar IBM SCSI, XGA-2 video adapter) is called a ¨Bermuda¨.

Thank you so much. In the past few weeks you have provided me with such great technical reference links for the computers I have. I really do truly appreciate it.

Yzzerdd - Looks sorted, too. The left stack is drives of a certain yellow, the right stack are 0 yellow. Do the stacks continue to the left, with drives getting yellower and yellower?
Actually the stack goes straight up! (see attachment...:))

Yzzerdd - Thats a very nice IBM PS/2 77. How different were the keys between machines?
The lock on the 77 is more of a padlock type key and not the barrel style on the Model 80.

I've got one of these too. Nice machine to run OS/2 on. For some reason the white rubber feet on the bottom are dissolving and leave a sticky residue wherever I set it down. Definitely a nice PS/2 for the collection.

I checked the feet and fortunately they still seem to be in pretty good shape. Your also slowly but surely convincing me to the the OS/2 plunge.

I fooled around a little bit more today with it and the hard drive is an IBM Deskstar

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/ibm/DSAS-3540-DESKSTAR-548MB-3-5-SL-SCSI2-FAST.html

What I also noticed is how quiet this machine is when running. Even during disk access. I kinda like that.

Last edited:
Intel 486 66 MHz DX2
128k external cache
32 bit MCA
16 meg ram
1024k on board video

Well worth what you paid.

IBM went to town on the paying someone to design that computer, it looks so plain and boring...

IBM went to town on the paying someone to design that computer, it looks so plain and boring...

The case styles among those areas of the PS/2s were mimiced through the line. In other words, different levels and busses used the same cases. There are three different sizes:

¨3x3¨ (three drive bays, three expansion slots):

Model 35SX, 35LS, 35SLC, 35 486SLC2: ISA, CPUs from the 386SX-20 to the 486SLC2-50 (16-bit data bus, 24-bit address bus), planar IDE, SVGA planar video (35SX, 35LS, 35SLC) to XGA-2 (SLC2)

Model 56SX, 56SLC, 56LS, 56 486SLC2, 56 486SLC3: Microchannel, CPUs from 386SX-20 to 486SLC3-75, planar SCSI, planar video from SVGA (SX, SLC) to XGA-2 (SLC2, SLC3)

Model 76, 76i, 76s: Microchannel, CPUs from 486SX-25 (starting on Bermuda) to the Pentium Overdrive (POD) 83MHz (ending on Lacuna), planar SVGA (Lacuna) or adapter XGA-2 (Bermuda), planar (Bermuda) or possible adapter (Lacuna) SCSI, planar IDE (Lacuna)

¨5x5¨ (five drive bays, five expansion slots):

Model 40SX, 40SLC, 40 486SLC2: ISA, CPUs from the 386SX-20 to the 486SLC2-50 (16-bit data bus, 24-bit address bus), planar IDE, SVGA planar video (35SX, 35LS, 35SLC) to XGA-2 (SLC2)

Model 57SX, 57SLC, 57 486SLC2, 57 486SLC3: Microchannel, CPUs from 386SX-20 to 486SLC3-75, planar SCSI, planar video from SVGA (SX, SLC) to XGA-2 (SLC2, SLC3)

Model 77 (Bermuda), 77i (Lacuna), 77s (Lacuna): Microchannel, CPUs from 486SX-25 (starting on Bermuda) to the Pentium Overdrive (POD) 83MHz (ending on Lacuna), planar SVGA (Lacuna) or adapter XGA-2 (Bermuda), planar (Bermuda) or possible adapter (Lacuna) SCSI, planar IDE (Lacuna)

¨8x8¨or ¨tower¨:

Not implemented for ISA or 386SX/386SLC/486SLC2/486SLC3 CPUs

Model 85 (Model K/N or Model X): Microchannel, CPUs from 486SX-33 to POD83 (ending on Model X), adapter SVGA or XGA-2, planar SCSI (Model K/N) or F/W SCSI (Model X)

Thank you so much. In the past few weeks you have provided me with such great technical reference links for the computers I have. I really do truly appreciate it.

It isn´t just me. I help host Louis Ohland´s information (www.IBMMuseum.com/ohlandl) among other places to document many IBM models. Much of it (Louis´s, and my knowledge as well) is experimenting with the systems, having others give their contributions, and participating in the comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware newsgroup.

Back