• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Latest thoughts on Commuter collection management software?

candrews

Experienced Member
This topic comes up occasionally but I have yet to find a satisfactory, cloud-based, computer collection asset management software platform. I have searched many of the platforms targeting museums and while they have nice features their monthly subscriptions are out of my modest price range. Something asset number based, bar code printer/reader capabilities, location, acquisition cost, technical details (mfg, model, PWA/B numbers, Rev, serial number, etc, documentation cross-reference.

Has anyone found their perfect solution?

Not sure if the forum allows it, but you should try to correct the thread title.

As for computer collection management software, I have you looked at omeka - https://omeka.org/ ? I had it installed on my site the previous web hosting company, but haven't reinstalled in at the new hosting site. It seems to have a lot, but is not a turnkey system.

Back around 2006, there used to be a site vintagecomputermarketplace.com. I didn't use it long before it went down, but if I'm remembering correctly, there was a community generate list of all types of hardware/software, you could create a collection of what you had by selecting items from the list, but if there was something missing, you could add it. Maybe there is some old-timers on here that remember more of the details. I'd love to recreate something like that.

Back