• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Living Computer Museum, in Seattle...... Status?

tejones777

The amazing "Living Computer Museum" in Seattle Washington "temporarily" closed during the COVID epidemic, then said they are re-evaluating "if" they will reopen. But their Facebook, twitter, and website updates have been silent for a very long time.

Does anyone know what's up? I suspect they discovered the realities of how difficult it is for a museum to break even, even without a pandemic. Surely someone knows something, as there were many staff, volunteers, and supporters at one time. I heard the collection was initially funded by some Microsoft founders (Paul Allen?) but running a museum is hundreds of times more expensive than just acquiring a collection.

I'm really a bit bummed out about them, and worry they're joining the huge list of computer museums (and other museums) which have folded.

- tj.

Jody Allen (his sister and sole executor) certainly knows. I suspect that the LCM was more of a toy project than a serious venture, so it likely will be liquidated according to his wishes.

I find it somewhat abhorrent that the systems will be liquidated, because some of those systems were donations. For the systems that were donated, who gets the money? Allen's estate, I guess, but it would have been nice to the community to pass the donated systems, or the money they will produce, to other computer museum organizations.

The website says they are a 501c3 non-profit charity. So the family can't just liquidate and take the money. Most likely everything will go to other museums, if they are actually closing down.

Actually, they can liquidate and send the funds to other 501(c)3 groups. Allen owned a few museums and collections. His will apparently stipulates that any proceeds go to charitable enterprises. As far as the IRS is concerned, that's fine. Of course, exactly what's done is up to Jody.

Yes that's my point. The estate doesn't get anything.

Back