• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Lo-tech IDE setup on Model III LDOS

dmemphis

Experienced Member
Can any offer some fast-track instructions to set up a LO-TECH IDE board on a Model III.
I have an LDOS boot disk and the IDE tools RSFORM5 and HDDVR5 available on :0 and :1
floppy drives and the IDE board cabled in to the 50 pin connector and an idustrial IDE flash
with its own power supplied. Just need to know how to run the software which I'm not finding
much guidance for. Thanks!

I'm using the driver HDDVR5/CMD (not a DCT file) and the program HDFORM5/CMD from lo-tech.co.uk. This works almost fine for me except one little annoying thing. On every boot process after the 'Time ?' prompt (HD appears in upper right screen corner and computer freezes) I have to open (C8-CFh) JP1 on the IDE Adaptor board for a moment which is normally in closed position (40-47h) during use. The use of port 40h is stated mandatory for this driver. I don't know why that quirk is showing up on my setup. For everything else the IDE board with these driver and LDOS itself are working fine for me.

A summary of common LDOS and LS-DOS partitioning schemes are given here:
'SETTING UP TRS-80 MODEL III AND 4 HARD DRIVE PARTITIONS by Ian Mavric' (TRS8BIT - Volume 07 Issue 01 - March 2013 - page 26).
http://www.trs-80.org.uk/downloads.html (YEARS 1 to 7)
The described procedure there works in principle also with the lo-tech driver.

An alternative driver is TRSHARD/DCT which was introduced in TRS8BIT - Volume 13 Issue 04 - December 2019 - page 42. The article can be found on the same download page as above.
This driver works also very pleasant with my setup. No switching of JP1 in my case needed (works all the time with JP1 closed - source code changeable to C8/open). The configuration of this driver in LDOS is a little different from the lo-tech driver but it works without problems as far as I could test it.

The creator's webspace is at: https://sites.google.com/site/maboytim/home/trshard?authuser=0
The download link on that site does not work. I've attached the driver and the additional files (source code etc.) below.

Attachments

• TRSHARD.zip
    23 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks so much, I suppose I will try the alternative driver as I don't expect to have access to the jumper to get by the problem of the first driver. I'll post back if I have anything to add about my experience.

Back