• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Well, we're not likely to get the street view cameras up here - though the Coalmont road with bits falling off the cliff would be pretty exciting for a flatlander. I do get photos of my house on the net (including G-Maps) all the time though because it is a local landmark from 1912. I wouldn't have moved into it if I was really looking for obscurity so I can't complain.

Good idea.

I've updated my location appropriately:

Lausanne, Switzerland 46.5N:6.6E

Of course being a paranoid android, this is not exact enough to find our front door, but probably our street.

A simple way to determine your GPS location is to use Google Maps. A tutorial is here http://www.accessgrid.org/node/767

Good idea.
Lausanne, Switzerland 46.5N:6.6E
now that's more like it!
I googled chuckmagee's address once, a small group of silver cylinders surrounded by miles of barren rock, fascinating!
Obviously for personal / collection security reasons that sort of accuracy is probably a bit OTT in areas of low population

On the other hand, if you live 200+ miles from the nearest city or whatever, you gotta have something really valuable to make it worthwhile for suspicous people to drive all the distance. I wonder where the cut-off is, clearly you need to steal something worth at least $250 to make profit on a such trip. :p

On the other hand, if you live 200+ miles from the nearest city or whatever, you gotta have something really valuable to make it worthwhile for suspicous people to drive all the distance. I wonder where the cut-off is, clearly you need to steal something worth at least $250 to make profit on a such trip. :p
The trouble with stealing anything other than money is that you have to sell it. That makes most heists not worth it because there is no emediate buyer. High ticked items (eg. a 20 grand flute) have a closed market and nobody will buy without knowing the source. In the city most thefts are drug related and they just take stuff that they can sell within the hour. Those kinds of crimes are not really premeditated and have nothing to do with knowing where anybody lives. Here in the countryside, everyone knows where everyone lives. No obscurity is even possible. As you saw above, in my case all you have to do is google my name and you have my address and a picture of my house. That is not going to have anything to do whatsoever with the possibility of any theft here. The address exists even if it's not associated with my name. I'm not sure that knowing where someone lives is any threat to them in any way. Perhaps in a place where you are wanted for political crimes etc etc, but not anywhere where most of us live. True obscurity can best be achieved in the heart of the city. It's hard to find anybody if they live downtown even if you have the street number and in Vancouver, even if you have the apartment number you won't know what button to push because it is obscured. /2¢

...that explains a lot Vlad. Wow.. I was gonna post mine for shiggles (it's been dirt for quite a while on google maps) but at some point it looks like they were bored enough to drive through it, took me quite a while and they're addresses are way off but I do see my house. Wish I'd seen their car .. though I suppose they don't want me to run down the block and stand still, then run down the block and stand still again. Here, (1200 fairway kyle, tx) you can drive down my street now and take a look at our little pond. Note: I'm not in those huge houses a block away lol I'm in the more modest homes a few blocks down, no 1200 isn't my address.

I tried a bit to get my lat and long to work (in URL) but couldn't and should probably get back to work lol opposed to virtually driving around the neighborhood.

Heh. It seems geographically I'm also "north of 50": N 59° 36' 38", E 16° 29' 31"

But please don't come here to dump more computer garbage outside my door. I already have the living room full as it is. :p

@carlsson: Is that Råby as in "raw town"? I'm guessing that Erikslund and Vetterslund are modern developments or neighbourhoods since they are so close together, or are they really old names for different areas?

Honestly I'm not updated on the ethymology but if you translate it litterally in modern language it would be "raw village". Due to housing a lot of immigrants from around the world, some with tongue in cheek call it Nairåby. Most of the neighbourhoods got their names from past farms approximately at the same place although a few places may have received made-up names.

(hmm.. if we didn't already get off-topic before, we sure are now)

(hmm.. if we didn't already get off-topic before, we sure are now)
Lol. I was thinking that but ...
To me there are two reasons for using some kind of area identifier here. One is regarding shipping, and the other is about community. It is nice to share a little with our fellow human beings. :) Regarding normal talk on the forum: sometimes knowing where someone lives (and hence a bit about their culture) can help in understanding (and accepting) their communications. I personally find there is sometimes borderline rudeness here which (IMHO) seems to stem from lack of cultural understanding. :)

Back