• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for PDP-8/L front panel specifications

Thanks guys, any comments on if there's a clearcoat layer, and if there's one side of the plastic that's matte?
From what I can see on my panels that are not currently installed, there's a bit of matte on both sides, though some are more shiny on the artwork sides than others. Not sure if there's a clearcoat layer, or whether it's a property of the paint.

FWIW, on mine the lighter tone looks like nothing in Vince's list. It's really an orange-yellow, not something golden. But the differences might be my lighting, monitor, and/or eyes. But even my memory of BITD says that neither "bright gold" is even a close match. IMO Vince's list has a shortfall in this regard. The attached front panel photo (not mine) is a fairly good color rendition, IMO, although on my handles the darker shade is closer to "russet orange" as defined by Vince. You be the judge!
I finally got a photo of my front panel, and yes, it's almost precisely the same color as yours. To be honest, it's more the color I remember from my PDP-8/L in high school. I'm not sure at this point what to make of Vince's color list, but I am going to try printing a panel and seeing what the colors look like. I'll probably print two versions (which I expect will both be prototypes) just to check fit and color specifications. Thanks everyone who contributed. At some point I'll post a photo of one of my finished panels.

Attachments

• Panel1.jpg
    Panel1.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 21
Hello Everyone, I am pleased to report that I should receive my first 8/L front panel prototypes this week. But for the next version, I have a question:

Does anyone have a currently uninstalled PDP-8/L panel for which they could look at the back and supply a photo of the part number which appears on the back? I finally traced this down to the fact that it is, in fact, a part number.

Please see the obvious numbers I'm looking for in the attached image: "74 6735 B". I'd just like to know if there's another version "A" or something similar.

Thank you in advance. I'm headed to my first VC festival in June!

Attachments

• PDP-8L Panel Back.jpg
    PDP-8L Panel Back.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 17
Hello Everyone, I am pleased to report that I should receive my first 8/L front panel prototypes this week. But for the next version, I have a question:

Does anyone have a currently uninstalled PDP-8/L panel for which they could look at the back and supply a photo of the part number which appears on the back? I finally traced this down to the fact that it is, in fact, a part number.

Please see the obvious numbers I'm looking for in the attached image: "74 6735 B". I'd just like to know if there's another version "A" or something similar.

Thank you in advance. I'm headed to my first VC festival in June!
Hey Pavlos, I have two 8/L front panels - a broken one with the same numbers as well as another from an earlier unit without them. Also note the difference in the amount of masking.

Btw, if you plan to produce more of these, consider me interested.

Attachments

• IMG_4715.jpeg
    IMG_4715.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4714.jpeg
    IMG_4714.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 23
Thank you, that is precisely what I needed.

Yes, I am planning on making a few extra of these. It's difficult trying to do a reproduction using modern technologies while retaining as much as possible the original correct look and colors.

I'll let you know!

I can check mine this coming weekend. Based on the serial number, it's slightly past half-way through the production run of the 8/L's

If anyone needs the specs or pics I have a PDP-8/I front panel "glass". Unfortunately I don't have the electronics to go with it.

I'm hoping to get it setup with my second PiDP-8/I but the issue would be the switches.

Does anyone have a PDP-8/I front panel I can use at the front of my PiDP-8/I???

Back