• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Other US Areas Looking for RCA Cosmac 1802 devices

Covers the non-continental US, including Alaska, Haiwaii, Puerto Rico and other territories.

mountainking

Experienced Member
Hi,

I have a deep fondness for the RCA 1802 microprocessor along with their other 1800 series ics, but what I daydream about owning are the various RCA Cosmac trainers and devices such as:

Microtutor II
Evaluation Kit
Microterminal
Micromonitor
Development System
VIP
Microboard
Microkit

There's probably some more I'm forgetting about but you get it ;)

If you have any of these devices and would be interested in selling them please message me with what you have and the price you are looking to get.

Thank you,
Alan

As a result of the EVK manual being offered I checked on eBay and was surprised so see quite a few processor chips. Some were from the US but there were many from China too.

…and I found a guy in Thailand selling what is apparently a modern version of the EVK.

As a result of the EVK manual being offered I checked on eBay and was surprised so see quite a few processor chips. Some were from the US but there were many from China too.
Yes, there are still plenty of chips still out there, most were made in China/Asia so those sellers has stock piles of them.

…and I found a guy in Thailand selling what is apparently a modern version of the EVK.
Yep, there are a handful of sellers selling those same trainers, though I don't think they are same design as the Cosmac Evaluation kit, they just use the same cpu. I'm just interested in the vintage trainers though.

There was a guy on ebay a few years ago who had DEEP pockets who bought up just about every piece of ELF kit that appeared.

There was a guy on ebay a few years ago who had DEEP pockets who bought up just about every piece of ELF kit that appeared.
Hm, I guess that's why I've never seen an Elf listed on ebay, lol, though since they are all homebrew they are less likely to come up for sale, most home brew stuff has sadly ended up in the trash. I do see other RCA Cosmac boards and devices come up for sale but the prices are generally ridiculous. There are a couple pieces on ebay now that I am contemplating purchasing if I can get the price down to something reasonable, I just sold a piece from my collection and I never sell a piece without replacing it with something that I want more.

Hm, I guess that's why I've never seen an Elf listed on ebay, lol, though since they are all homebrew they are less likely to come up for sale, most home brew stuff has sadly ended up in the trash. I do see other RCA Cosmac boards and devices come up for sale but the prices are generally ridiculous. There are a couple pieces on ebay now that I am contemplating purchasing if I can get the price down to something reasonable, I just sold a piece from my collection and I never sell a piece without replacing it with something that I want more.
Hi,

That's because women usually don't get into the hobby and when their husband hobbyist/collector dies, they figure the home brew computer is worthless and toss them.

Hi,

That's because women usually don't get into the hobby and when their husband hobbyist/collector dies, they figure the home brew computer is worthless and toss them.
Jeez....don't blame it on the wives 🤦🏻. First of all, it's not usually the wife that goes through the husband's possessions, it's usually their children, and if it is the wife she, more so than even the children, would be the one who knows what the items are or at least knows that they were something important to the husband. Homebrew pieces gets tossed because they are just that, something that some hobbyist built and likely only worth something to the person who built them, and really they usually AREN'T worth anything of any significance accept to the builder or a fellow builder/hobbyist. I have a small handful of vintage homebrew micro based pieces (that someone other than myself built) which I cherish, but none of them cost much at all (and they came from ebay auctions) because sadly even those who are into the vintage computing scene/hobby don't care about homebrew stuff unless it's something known and popular (ie hip and "cool") like an ELF or TVT or similar.

Jeez....don't blame it on the wives 🤦🏻. First of all, it's not usually the wife that goes through the husband's possessions, it's usually their children, and if it is the wife she, more so than even the children, would be the one who knows what the items are or at least knows that they were something important to the husband. Homebrew pieces gets tossed because they are just that, something that some hobbyist built and likely only worth something to the person who built them, and really they usually AREN'T worth anything of any significance accept to the builder or a fellow builder/hobbyist. I have a small handful of vintage homebrew micro based pieces (that someone other than myself built) which I cherish, but none of them cost much at all (and they came from ebay auctions) because sadly even those who are into the vintage computing scene/hobby don't care about homebrew stuff unless it's something known and popular (ie hip and "cool") like an ELF or TVT or similar.

Hi,

You are somewhat correct ... it's both the wives and kids. I see widows posting stuff for sale and when I ask about other stuff, they mostly say they just tossed it, thinking the commercial products were the only things with any value to anybody else.

It's sad, and worse is that in the past a lot of the electronics "junk" was sent to China where we buy it as vintage components on eBay, now China doesn't want so much of it anymore so probably more of it is going into landfills now.

Back