• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looks like Tandy 1000 worths gold now...

I've got a boxed 1000HX, DMP130A, and CM-5 monitor I'm contemplating putting up for some ridiculous buy-it-now price.

Think I'd be better off selling HX and CM-5 individually? The DMP130A has no real value that I can tell.

I have a 640kb upgrade but it's in my EX, I don't really want to part with it to be honest...

tandystack.jpg

I was thinking about getting a Tandy system myself, but, the ones I've seen last year were being sold as-is (not working) for over $200 which is ridiculous. I have a Tandy 3-Voice sound card (Lo-Tech) that I got new on eBay last year for my Packard Bell, and I like it. Guess you can say I have an IBM/Tandy clone, and every game that uses the Tandy 3-Voice does work wonderfully with the VGA card (they claim it wouldn't work with any VGA cards, but they were wrong).

I was thinking about getting a Tandy system myself, but, the ones I've seen last year were being sold as-is (not working) for over $200 which is ridiculous. I have a Tandy 3-Voice sound card (Lo-Tech) that I got new on eBay last year for my Packard Bell, and I like it. Guess you can say I have an IBM/Tandy clone, and every game that uses the Tandy 3-Voice does work wonderfully with the VGA card (they claim it wouldn't work with any VGA cards, but they were wrong).

Mine at least works 100%! There are honestly a lot of games that wouldn't normally work with that sort of Tandy "clone" system. Most of my favorites, like the gold-box games and Sierra graphical adventures, don't seem to care either way.

Mine at least works 100%! There are honestly a lot of games that wouldn't normally work with that sort of Tandy "clone" system. Most of my favorites, like the gold-box games and Sierra graphical adventures, don't seem to care either way.

I am getting trouble to find a 360KB disk version of King Quest (or any other tandy games). All versions I can find are in one zip that does not fit into a 360KB... :/

"Outrageous prices" is all about perspective... Think about an original owner of the system. I don't know what my parents paid for mine, but I'm betting a 1000 RLX-HD model B still isn't worth the price they paid for it back in 1991... even in 2018 dollars. :p

That system will go with me to the grave if it doesn't end up in a museum first. Recently, I acquired an original 1000 for the nice price of gratis, complete with CM-2 monitor, but no keyboard. I later picked up a keyboard for $25 on eBay, much less than what I'd usually seen the keyboards go for there.

(Oh, and my mom totally recorded those relevant clips of Young Sheldon straight off the TV and sent them to me. ;) )

We had a 1000RL and I remember arguing with my mother over how much money she spent on the whole package. She had dust covers and everything for it, and I remember it running some silly sort of GUI but can't remember the name. Being a hoarder, she no doubt has it somewhere (in mint condition), but won't come off with the thing until she is dead.

Someone also gave me an EX once, it ended up in the dumpster about 7 or 8 years ago along with an original 5150, an Apple IIe, and several Macs. :(

I remember it running some silly sort of GUI but can't remember the name.
DeskMate.

Dekmate%203.05%20-%20Desktop.png

I think it's just a function of the Tandy 1000 becoming more popular. HX or EX is not really useful without the upgrade.

Exactly, folks are finally realising the the 1000's are the pick of the PC/XT class machines for 80's gaming due to the widely supported 16 colour graphics and 3 voice digital sound. Anyone who wants to play games like SQ1/2, PQ1/2, Q4G1/2 or KQ1/2/3 etc with the best possible experience needs to get a Tandy 1000.

That is the printer that I used with my Tandy 200, back in the day. Mine is long since gone, I'd like to get one back someday and I'm pretty sure a lot of others would too, so you'll probably find a buyer.

I must admit that I have a soft spot for the DMP-130a myself as we had one with our 1000 EX but as I have a Panasonic DM (re-badge) and a Citizen 4-colour DM I decided not to bother collecting one myself ... I might change my mind one day tho. :D

Back