• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looks like Tandy 1000 worths gold now...

Retro Canada

Experienced Member
Blame on last Young Sheldon episode ??? The prices are skyrocketing on ebay...

I wanted a tandy 1000 to test the tandy graphics on my mce2vga but not at these prices... :/

BTW: has anyone tested it already ?

Trawl the secondary / tertiary market (LetGo/OfferUp/Craigslist and so on). Still lots of treasures to be found. Takes some patience and perseverance though. :) FYI: there is a dedicated Tandy section.

Trawl the secondary / tertiary market (LetGo/OfferUp/Craigslist and so on). Still lots of treasures to be found. Takes some patience and perseverance though. :) FYI: there is a dedicated Tandy section.

Tandys have been outrageously priced for months now. I picked up almost every known model, for $50 each or less on ebay over the past few years, including a couple of full monitor/keyboard/system combos for $99 - $150, but right now it's a nightmare for Tandy system shopping.

I've noticed this too, been hoping to find a 1000TL or something for under $100 but coming up empty handed.

I'm going somewhere on Saturday that I know had Tandy 1000s last time I went a few months ago, hope they still do.

I've noticed this too, been hoping to find a 1000TL or something for under $100 but coming up empty handed.

I'm going somewhere on Saturday that I know had Tandy 1000s last time I went a few months ago, hope they still do.

Yes, under 100 is my target too. I will wait...

LGR also did a video on the 1000 recently.
I don't understand though what the addiction is. Wasn't the Tandy PC line for the most part a bunch of ultra low budget PC or MS-DOS compatibles?

Proprietary sound, graphics and some other unique design quirks give it the “cool” factor.

A complete set is available for $100 locally to me. https://offerup.com/item/detail/306026931/?ref=Search

A dude less than 2 miles away had a complete first generation setup but he wanted $500. Last I heard he put it in the trash. Some people are very obstinate.

The weird thing, back in the day I absolutely hated these Tandy 1000 computers - specifically the SL!. Where I lived, these 1000s were everywhere, and given the price (at least my chronologically impaired recollection is) people could have gotten a build-your-own budget clone 286 for much less. I'm thinking that was around 1989/1990 and 8088 and 8086s were on the way out and everyone knew that soon everything would require at least a 386.

Don't get me too wrong, it was mainly a price-point thing.

But it seems like prices in general have been going up on eBay. Of course, if you think that is expensive, that's nothing compared to modern health insurance.

I watched the Young Sheldon computer episode tonight....nicely done. They did a great job with the Radio Shack
store and the 1000SL display :)

The IBM PCjr was my first computer , and I learned to appreciate its graphics and sound capabilities
which at the time were superior to the IBM PC and XT. Therefore I really appreciated the Tandy 1000SX
because it also had the superior graphics and sound along with the expansion options via ISA slots.

I don't understand though what the addiction is. Wasn't the Tandy PC line for the most part a bunch of ultra low budget PC or MS-DOS compatibles?

For the same reason people buy overpriced Apple Computers, Radio Shack stores were omnipresent and people trusted the brand.

The only Tandys I liked were the HX, original 1000, and some early laptops (1100FD, 1400). The later models never interested me outside of the 5000MC because of the oddball MC bus.

Since they were not that popular most of then got junked. Supply and demand I guess.

I wanted a tandy 1000 to test the tandy graphics on my mce2vga but not at these prices... :/

BTW: has anyone tested it already ?

I've tested V1 (waiting for components to build a V2, PCB's arrived few days ago) with my Tandy 1000 TL/2. At monochrome Hercules mode, it works fine. But at color text mode, since Tandy uses 225 scanlines instead of CGA standard 200, some part of the picture is missing vertically. I can upload screenshots after returning back to home today.

I've tested V1 (waiting for components to build a V2, PCB's arrived few days ago) with my Tandy 1000 TL/2. At monochrome Hercules mode, it works fine. But at color text mode, since Tandy uses 225 scanlines instead of CGA standard 200, some part of the picture is missing vertically. I can upload screenshots after returning back to home today.

This is a good reason why I would want one :)

This can be fixed by using the MODE 200 command from Tandy MS-DOS 3.3. Use SETVER to fool the MODE program into thinking it is being run in 3.3 if you are using a later or non-Tandy version of MS-DOS.

Hmm.... I think that I may have a couple, that I haven't played with in forever. Might be time to liquidate them and use the proceeds for a new toy.

Funny coincidence -- the set decorator of Young Sheldon wanted to buy my 1000SL (or possibly a 1000SL/2) to use in the show!

She posted this comment on my video about it:

frankel.png

This is her IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0291235/

She posted on Twitter asking for more props for Young Sheldon so I know for sure that's the show she was intending to use it in.

Back