• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LQP02 printer?

mcguire

Experienced Member
Hi folks. I have in my head from way back in the 1980s, when I worked for a company that sold and serviced them, that the DEC LQP02 daisy-wheel printer is a repackaged Juki 6100. I'd not seen one in many years, but we got one in at LSSM recently, and we're getting it running. We purchased a ribbon from a ribbon vendor that purports to be for a Juki 6100. And most annoyingly, it doesn't fit!

Is my memory incorrect about the LQP02 being a Juki 6100, or did the vendor sell me the wrong ribbon?

Thanks,
-Dave

I'm finding further evidence that it's a Qume, from the Sprint family. Correcting 40-year-old bad information in my brain is going to take a while. ;)

-Dave

That's a Qume Sprint 9 in DEC disguise by the look of it... Clean the hammer and housing with iso and leave it perfectly dry/clean and don't let the spring inside the hammer guide escape...

Robin

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about this thread. It's definitely a Qume, and the following ribbons fit:

Qume Sprint 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Apple LQP
AT&T 455
Burroughs AP1305
Lexitron VT 913, 921, 942, 1201S
Exxon 500, 5000, 935
Wordplex 80-2, 80-3, 80-4
Honeywell 24, 25, PRU7200, 7201, 7202, 7210, 7211, 7212
Decision Data 6355
Nukote B140

The LQP02 is up and running, and will soon be added to the DECmate-I system on exhibit at LSSM.

-Dave

I found this as replacement.
And picture from original LQP02 handbook as to compare.
There were 2 types of ribbon, film and nylon
Part Number Description
LQP02-KA 6 high-quality impression multi strike film ribbons. Single loop, sensor stops printer at ribbon’s end before characters are lost.
LQP02-KB 6 continuous-loop nylon ribbons. Use until desired type quality can no longer be obtained.

See attachment for replacement found in some Google Book:

Customer Supply Center: Region 3, page 56

Attachments

• LQP02-KA-Linten.jpg
    LQP02-KA-Linten.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 4
  • LQP02-KA-org-handboek.jpg
    LQP02-KA-org-handboek.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 4
I have an original used ribbon that looks good to rehydrate, and a presumed original new sealed/packed ribbon....Can't do either until I get my LQP02 back working....

I know this is a post from Dave last year on LQP02 ribbons, but if there is some electronics insight anyone has on this printer and my post on VCFED forums under "LQP02 Troubleshooting" it would be appreciated...

Thanks,

I worked on the real Qume Sprint 5 and 9 daisy wheel printers, the 9's were somewhat simpler than the 5s with sleeve bearings rather than roller bearings on the carriage and only went to 55cps, depending on the version - the earlier Sprint 5 had a rare - and expensive - 90cps version, which when you see a 9 running as 45cps, is hard to imagine... just about every board and both servos, as well as the hammer assembly was different for the 90 cps version.. The sprint 5 self test found the resonant frequency of any desk, doing a superb positioning test, moving in half a chr from each margin to the middle on one line of print - the Sprint 9 has the same i think, but does not accelerate anything like as much over white space...

Don't over-tension the drive belt, they "snap" and stretch a little bit...

There were special alignment tools to set the keyed hub on the daisy wheel servo - the index position is lower case w, fyi - and if you print all caps. it will never go past "w", so if it loses position (which can happen), it will never notice and print gibberish... and yes, there was some 1980s payroll for Commodore PETs that only printed upper case...

Back