• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MAC PLUS COMPUTER - Seeking input on what you would pay for it

A mac plus with a keyboard and mouse and nothing else is in the range of $50-100. If you add software and documentation, cool, $150-$175.
The whole shebang in the box. No problem with $200-$250. Mint? Make that $300-$400.

At $2200 you're dreaming you can reel in those people who are so die-hard that they do not do their homework and want to own a vintage apple because it's related to some egomaniac who at the time the Plus was made was not even at the company.

What a pipedream.

Okay, rant time... why is it that most everyone that lists the baby macs always has to either show a picture of the inside of the case (OMG SIGNATUREZ!) or tell you about it? :)

Mint boxed machines with all the appropriate stuff inside are hard to determine value. Few come up for sale, and those that sell are mostly to diehard collectors who are really into that particular model. It is much easier to judge the value of just the machine itself but even that varies are popularity goes up and down over time.

Are you going to use it or stuff it in a closet to flip 5 years down the road?

Mint boxed machines with all the appropriate stuff inside are hard to determine value. Few come up for sale, and those that sell are mostly to diehard collectors who are really into that particular model. It is much easier to judge the value of just the machine itself but even that varies are popularity goes up and down over time.

Most likely it won't be used much at all, and only shown to people who are computer enthusiasts.

What's it worth in your opinion.

I'm not implying that the thing isn't worth a good chunk of money, but north of $2k seems quite steep, especially for one of the more common Apple machines. I'd say on the order of $300-$500 would be more appropriate.

I'm not implying that the thing isn't worth a good chunk of money, but north of $2k seems quite steep, especially for one of the more common Apple machines. I'd say on the order of $300-$500 would be more appropriate.

The part that irked me about the listing, he took the machine apart to show the signatures.............Taking apart a computer voids the word mint, now it's "Near New" IMO!

The part that irked me about the listing, he took the machine apart to show the signatures.............Taking apart a computer voids the word mint, now it's "Near New" IMO!

"Mint is more "the packing tape still holds the box shut". I've see a fair number of systems sold that were in their box but otherwise looked like they had seen a full life of use in the 80's. I'm pretty sure the action figure peanut gallery would agree that an open box is not mint.

For everyone saying, 'it's not mint,' That might be the cleanest vintage mac I've ever seen. It's not yellowed at all. Like, at. all.

/Still only worth about $500, though.

I agree it'd sell for $200-500 I would think. Guess we'd only know if it ever goes to a true auction. Prices do surprise us often though for collectors get crazy during heated auctions sometimes.

Most likely it won't be used much at all, and only shown to people who are computer enthusiasts.

What's it worth in your opinion.

Its worth what you want to spend for it, nowhere near what that seller is asking for it. I buy machines to use them, not show them off.

For everyone saying, 'it's not mint,' That might be the cleanest vintage mac I've ever seen. It's not yellowed at all. Like, at. all.

/Still only worth about $500, though.
How do you know it wasn't a yellow brittle plastic model that was just hit with retrobright and some photoshop?

That's the scary part about buying anything these days..................

Yes, I agree. In my experience, yellowed plastic is more brittle than non-yellowed plastic. It's more likely to have been in the sun a lot. Retr0bright makes it look nice (at least for a year or two) but in a photo it disguises the fact that the plastic could be brittle from sun-damage. I feel any seller has a moral obligation to tell potential buyers if things have had the retr0bright treatment or not, so at least they know.

As to doctoring photos, there is certainly potential. Hide a scuff mark here...whiten some yellowing there. If the buyer complains, the seller could always say the superior appearance in the photo was the effect of the lighting when the photo was taken.

Tez

If it is mint, has 4 MB RAM, has a mint Apple 40MB SCSI hard drive, has a Radius 16 Accelerator and a *working* Radius Full Page Display I'd give $1500 for it. As is, like everyone else has said, $300-$500.

My valuations are probably skewed from experience and and not entirely relevant as Im in Australia, however I still couldnt really justify paying more than $150 bucks for a Plus in any kind of used condition short of completely spotless, for the simple reason that the last one I bought I paid all of $40 for... mint condition, not yellow, keyboard, mouse, external FDD, external HDD, a compliment of software, and all in an Apple insulated carry bag, and it came with another Plus for parts that worked after I replaced the FDD.

IMO, any of the little Macs aren't worth much. I have a bunch of various ones sitting in my garage. The most I paid for one was ten bucks.

Back