• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac SE Ethernet issue

dittman

Veteran Member
I have a Mac SE with an Asante MacCon SE Ethernet board installed. The SE is running 7.1. I installed the drivers for the Ethernet card but it's not communicating. If I run ADLS it identifies the card and MAC address and I can see recieved broadcast packets but none of the other counters show any activity. I've connected it to a 10/100/1000 switch as well as directly connecting it to an older laptop. When it was connected to the switch I tried both manual and DHCP. With the drivers set to DHCP it wouldn't pull an address and I never saw anything in the logs on the DHCP server. The two LEDs on the daughterboard work as expected (one is solid to show the link was detected and the other blinks showing network traffic).

I've verified the cable connecting the Ethernet board and daughterboard is connected correctly.

I'm sure I've overlooked something. Any ideas?

You have Open Transport installed to get DHCP then?
Make sure the network setting in the control panel is using ethernet and not the serial port.

You have Open Transport installed to get DHCP then?
Make sure the network setting in the control panel is using ethernet and not the serial port.

I don't have Open Transport installed and the Asante install instructions didn't mention it, just MacTCP.

It doesn't work if I set a static IP, either.

I connected the SE to a switch that I had configured one port to be 10HDX and the other to 10FDX. I tried the SE connected to each port and got nothing. I then connected an AUI-10Base-T transceiver and tested each port. I briefly saw the MAC address on the switch on the 10HDX port, but after switching it over to the 10FDX port to test it never reappeared again even when I switched back to the 10HDX port.

I'm guessing there's a problem with the daughterboard.

Before concluding that, just see if you can grab an old hub. Seriously, sometimes newer switches are too smart for their own good. NICs fail but that wouldn't be my first thought here (and it's easier to get a hub than a new SE NIC).

Before concluding that, just see if you can grab an old hub. Seriously, sometimes newer switches are too smart for their own good. NICs fail but that wouldn't be my first thought here (and it's easier to get a hub than a new SE NIC).

I found a cheap one on eBay. I'll give it a try.

I suppose if I can find someone else with one that could test my card with their install I could figure out if it's the controller or daughterboard. Does anyone have one that would be willing to test mine in their SE?

It is true that having a Mac is fantastic and has marked a whole generation of people in the world. In Europe it is more difficult to get old models, but little by little the market opens up.

Back