• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Magnetic Peripherals BR8B2A 5.25" Floppy Drive Manual?

TomL_12953

Experienced Member
I'm looking for any information on the Magnetic Peripherals BR8B2A 5.25" floppy drive. This was used in IBM PCs for a while so it's probably compatible with the Tandon TM100-2A but I'd like a manual specific to the drive itself. I checked bitsavers but no luck.

If you have a manual or scan I could buy or if you know of a site that has one, please let me know!

TIA

Tom L

Have you checked here.

CDC/MPI drive models can be confusing (and misleading); if it's a full-height drive, it's likely very simlar to the 9409; if half-height, the 9428.

Thanks, all! I never would've looked for it under 9409 but that seems to be the one it is. I guess CDC never intended to sell them for the retail market, just OEMs.

You'll go nuts trying to make sense of CDC internal numbers and MPI model numbers/OEM numbers. All seemed to propagate like cockroaches.

Best bet is to match up what you have with documentation. I've got a couple of MPI model 52s but 100 tpi with an add-on READY/ detection and Micropolis pinout. Since the paper labels have long since dried out and blown away, I have no idea what the OEM number was.

That extends even to hard drives. If you had a CDC mainframe, you knew a drive by one name; the same basic drive OEMed to another vendor went by another and, to be even more complex, the same drive within a different division of CDC went by a different number.

But it was pretty much always that way--the big hulking horizontal spindle drives were in the Bryant catalog as the 4000 series, but if you used on on a CDC 6000 series mainframe, they were called a 6603.

Last edited:
You'll go nuts trying to make sense of CDC internal numbers and MPI model numbers/OEM numbers. All seemed to propagate like cockroaches.

How true that is!

Best bet is to match up what you have with documentation.

The problem was that I had no documentation and couldn't find any using the model number on the drive itself so I had no idea where to look.

Back