• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

make Atari 65XE disks with PC floppy drive?

I also thought it would be close to impossible, but since there are a couple of software packages and the FAQ mentions them, it shouldn't be completely out of reach. That is unlike e.g. a Commodore or Apple floppy which both are GCR formats and absolutely require something like a Catweasel, Disc Ferret or in the CBM case of course X-series cable and a real 15x1 floppy drive.

I'll try it again some day though, just to verify for myself I'm unable to do it. I've already got a SIO2SD so for practical reasons I can already transfer Atari software, but this was mainly to help Mike Chambers. He may find himself getting a custom transfer cable as well.

I also thought it would be close to impossible, but since there are a couple of software packages and the FAQ mentions them, it shouldn't be completely out of reach.

Why not. You never know.

Best would be to use Atari double density (most chance of success) but this requires a hardware add-on. OTOH, if that add-on happens to be a "Happy 1050" upgrade, it has utils to read IBM 180KB formated disks anyways :)

or in the CBM case of course X-series cable and a real 15x1 floppy drive.

There are several ways to connect a 1050 to the PC. The oldest one is to connect it to the PC's parallel port. More recent ones connect to the serial or USB port.

Back