• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mark-8 Dress panel?

falter

Veteran Member
Curious about this.. I'm not aware of any chassis components ever being offered for the Mark-8 originally.. have these guys paid $$ for the Obtronix repro?

I spotted that too. The only original like that that I know of is on the machine that appeared in Radio Electronics. Many people have since cloned this and I think you're right, that one probably is from an Obtronix.

At least one of my Obtronix kits has the dress panel. While the color of the listed panel may well be different than what was captured/posted by the seller, the panel that I have has more of a green-ish hue compared to the one in the listing. Perhaps more importantly, mine does not have any lettering on it. I don't recall if Obtronix offered the panel with lettering or not.

I also don't recall seeing an official dress panel advert for the Mark-8... was there such a thing?

At least one of my Obtronix kits has the dress panel. While the color of the listed panel may well be different than what was captured/posted by the seller, the panel that I have has more of a green-ish hue compared to the one in the listing. Perhaps more importantly, mine does not have any lettering on it. I don't recall if Obtronix offered the panel with lettering or not.

I also don't recall seeing an official dress panel advert for the Mark-8... was there such a thing?
AFAIK there was only ever the kit boards offered. Obtronix manuals mention how to make a front panel but not any mention of providing one. That said, I'm almost certain I've seen an obtronix kit that sold a while back that had the complete case and dress panel..

AFAIK there was only ever the kit boards offered. Obtronix manuals mention how to make a front panel but not any mention of providing one. That said, I'm almost certain I've seen an obtronix kit that sold a while back that had the complete case and dress panel..
He definitely provided some of his early kits with a cut/drilled/painted panel, as mentioned I have one (and I have one of his kits without the panel as well). But I don't recall ever seeing any of his kits sold with a front panel *with* the labels on it already. The panels he included did not have any lettering/labels, but otherwise were ready to use.

He definitely provided some of his early kits with a cut/drilled/painted panel, as mentioned I have one (and I have one of his kits without the panel as well). But I don't recall ever seeing any of his kits sold with a front panel *with* the labels on it already. The panels he included did not have any lettering/labels, but otherwise were ready to use.
Got ya sorry.. misunderstood.

Jon Titus says the only front panels he knows of were produced by someone in the 1990s who went to the Smithsonian to look at the original and make repros.

Jon Titus says the only front panels he knows of were produced by someone in the 1990s who went to the Smithsonian to look at the original and make repros.

That's quite likely. And it does have a decidedly frontpanelexpress.com 'ish look to it.

I dug my Obtronix variation out... here's a pic:

mark8_panel.jpg

As mentioned, the color looks different.

Back