• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MCGA Monitor

nestor

Veteran Member
Hi,
I recently acquired a PS/2 Model 30 (8086 variant) with MCGA Graphics. It has a standard VGA connector but I found something strange: It has an autosensing or monitor detection that is incompatible with mi cheapo-chinese KVM Switch making the monitor to show a Frequency Overrange message. If I connect the VGA monitor directly the MCGA works correctly.

And now the question: does the MCGA support another kind of monitor than the standard VGA?

nestor

Veteran Member
I'm sure it is the MCGA which is failing here:
-If I power on the system with the VGA monitor directly plugged, the image is displayed correctly. Then I unplug the VGA connector and put the KVM Switch (with the system still powered on) and the image is still displayed correctly. But if I reboot, the problem appears (that is why I think there is something like an autosensing feature).

IBMMuseum

Veteran Member
I'm sure it is the MCGA which is failing here:
-If I power on the system with the VGA monitor directly plugged, the image is displayed correctly. Then I unplug the VGA connector and put the KVM Switch (with the system still powered on) and the image is still displayed correctly. But if I reboot, the problem appears (that is why I think there is something like an autosensing feature).

Other PS/2s with VGA cannot work with some KVMs too. There have been multiple topics on the comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware newsgroup about it. Raritan and Belkin seem to be the best recommended for PS/2s.