• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Memory size in CMOS invalid

Hello my Phoenix 80286 ROM BIOS PLUS Version 3.10 01D is showing memory errors with a CMOS message saying "invalid memory configuration". It says the computer has a base memory of 225k and a XMS of 255k but the base memory is 640k counted in POST screen and XMS is 00000k. How can I correct these memory problems? Are there any programs I can use to correct these memory problems? Also the CMOS battery is dead and it’s a wired lithium ion battery from the 80s but even though it’s dead the CMOS still holds the settings for a few hours.

Last edited:
If I understand your message (and I'm not sure that I do), you have a system that shows memory errors, even without the memory expansion card.

If the BIOS POST detects an error in memory, the check stops there--and that's how much contiguous good memory you have. It doesn't matter if you have more good memory installed above that; it won't be counted.

Do I understand the situation rightly?

Yup that’s pretty much my problem. Ever since I took this computer out of storage it has always had and invalid memory configuration. Sorry for the confusion I was trying to be as detailed as possible. But here are some photos of the screens I’m talking about. I have no idea how to correct these errors.

Attachments

• SP_A0468.jpg
    SP_A0468.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4
  • SP_A0472.jpg
    SP_A0472.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 4
  • SP_A0477.jpg
    SP_A0477.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 4
First thing to do is to verify the memory is good.

Take the expansion card out and see what your memory count is. If you have diagnostic software, run it. If it works fine then you have a problem with the add-in card.

On the add-in card, look for jumpers or dipswitches. It's possible that the card you have could be used to replace some of the lower memory in the system and fill up from 256k to 640k. If that's the case then you may have a conflict with addressing and simply need to move the dipswitches to the proper position.

If that's not it then you need to test the memory on the expansion card. This may involve swapping memory around on the card or from the card to the motherboard.

(Do you have a manual for that card? Can you post clear pics of it?)

RJ

I’ll post clearer photo's when it gets darker because now there's to much glare on the monitor. The expansion card is working find its NOS it came with the manual and software disk I read the manual the ram is correct speed and size and the software does a lot and even tell me how to set the jumpers correctly.

So my only guess is the CMOS errors are causing the problems with the XMS because EMS works fine because EMS is separate and is counted and checked when DOS starts up and is not counted in POST like BASE MEMORY or XMS MEMORY; The errors in the CMOS where always on the computer way before I installed the card. I know this computer has a base memory of 640k because that’s what they where shipped with unfortunately that’s all I know about the computer. I don’t even know where the jumpers are to flash the BIOS because the manufacture is really obscure I can’t find their website or any website about them except for one but its not much help. http://www.pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=181

Last edited:
A good idea is to address problems in steps. So leave out the expansion card for now and work on the base memory error.

With the the expansion card out, you have a machine with 640 KB of base memory (so you think) and no extended memory. That will be indicated by the machine showing "640K Base Memory, 00000K Extended" on start up (per your SP_A0472.jpg photo).

So if I was presented with a machine that:
1. counted 640 KB of base memory and no extended memory,
2. and then it reported "Invalid configuration information - run SETUP" and "Memory sze in CMOS invalid",
3. and then upon runing SETUP (your SP_A0468.jpg photo), I discovered that the CMOS Setup is set to 223 KB of base memory,
I'd simply enter the CMOS Setup (your SP_A0468.jpg photo) and change the 'Base memory' figure to 640 and the 'Extended memory' figure to zero.

Have you tried that?

If so, and the new figures entered are not 'sticking', then maybe your "dead" battery needs to be replaced (maybe battery voltage needs to be higher than what it is now in order to update the CMOS Setup information).

Alright I changed the CMOS memory values by typing in the new numbers and I felt so dumb because for the past year I have been trying to change the value with the arrow keys it only came to me now to type the new value in. The new values are sticking and the BIOS no longer has any errors it just goes straight to DOS like its supposed too without asking to press F1, now to turn my attention at the expansion memory card.

Last edited:
Back