• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

memory testing software

wolfie

Experienced Member
what is the best memory testing software out there? i have tons of memory and i plan on testing some time and i need a software that will do a thorough job. what do you guys recommend? i plan on doing all this testing on one of my many 486's.

It is not something I do very often, but when I do, Amidiag is very thorough. It does parity, pattern, walking 1s, walking 0s, address test, and refresh test. By the time you've sat through all that you'll never want to do that again. :) Smaller, free or shareware programs are available from simtelnet's Computer memory info and management utils.

i forgot to mention that i plan on using floppies. i am using motherboards and floppy drives pretty much. no hard drives no cd drives. another question. is there a software that tells you the speed of your memory?

memtest86 should fit on a floppy and should give you some information about the memory chips at least with more modern memory.

Edit: They have a floppy ready for you in the download section in the link I posted.

Hi
In general, the March C or March C+ are good test
and generally what is used by the manufactures.
Still any good suite should include a retention test,
read disturb test ( for static RAM ) and some type
of adjacent cell test ( but that requires some knowledge
of how the RAM was layed out ).
I don't like the address generation used for most of these
test. I prefer what I call a un-graycode count. It
insures the most bits changing on each address increment
so that it give the address decoder a good workout.
Dwight

i have test all my 1MB chips with memtest86 and they all tested good. now all i have left is all my edo memory to test. i think i might be testing for a whille lol.

Back