• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Merging in Libre Office Writer for Linux.

facattack

Veteran Member
I have the following setup:

A: a 500 GB hard drive set to external USB
B: A 32 bit SD Card
c: A 32 bit Sandisk thumb drive.

I want to save a document on A and have B and C automtically save the same file in the same sub folders on each device.

I asked this previously about Windows 10 but I moved onto Linux Mint 18.3 .....

I had found a computer in very good condition in a card board box in the dumpster. It is a dual core AMD eMachines PC. Seems to be much newer than my other dual core PC since I think it was released in 2010 rather than 2006. So it ran windows 7 64bit at first before I wiped the hard drive (B). I even swapped the HDD with a 60 bit SSD.

I have the following setup:

A: a 500 GB hard drive set to external USB
B: A 32 bit SD Card
c: A 32 bit Sandisk thumb drive.

I want to save a document on A and have B and C automtically save the same file in the same sub folders on each device.

I asked this previously about Windows 10 but I moved onto Linux Mint 18.3 .....

I had found a computer in very good condition in a card board box in the dumpster. It is a dual core AMD eMachines PC. Seems to be much newer than my other dual core PC since I think it was released in 2010 rather than 2006. So it ran windows 7 64bit at first before I wiped the hard drive (B). I even swapped the HDD with a 60 bit SSD.

The only things that come to mind for me are 'batch' files and 'macros'. You may want to do a little research along those lines.

You could also set up a cron task that periodically runs rsync between the "master" directory on A and updates B and C as needed. Operation would be invisible.

How hard is it to just simply copy the document to the storage devices using one of the many file managers available for linux. Or just save as from within Libre Office Writer.

Last edited:
Since you are now using Linux, have you thought about using https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify to watch the master directory on 'A' and on each file close event call rsync to propagate the change?

Here's a program that does just that - https://axkibe.github.io/lsyncd/

Lsyncd watches a local directory trees event monitor interface (inotify or fsevents). It aggregates and combines events for a few seconds and then spawns one (or more) process(es) to synchronize the changes. By default this is rsync. Lsyncd is thus a light-weight live mirror solution that is comparatively easy to install not requiring new filesystems or block devices and does not hamper local filesystem performance.

Although for standard use or quick testing it can be cursorily configured by command line options. The following will keep a local source and destination directory in sync using rsync:

lsyncd -rsync /home/USER/src /home/USER/dst

Are these solutions terminal functions? IE command prompt? I have bad skill with google but will look up macros with libre office instead I guess.

Unlike that "other" operating system, most of Linux is accessible from the command line prompt. If you are uncertain about a command, either executing the command with "--help" as an argument to get a brief synopsis or "man command".

If the particular package isn't installed, you can install it from the command line; for example, on Ubuntu-based distros, you'd enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install lsyncd

Windows has 3 shell options now cmd, power shell and bash. Hell you can even get a copy of linux installed from the windows app store and use that.

Back