• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Micro Switch keyboard from 1969! I know nothing about it...

DistantStar001

Experienced Member
I was thinking about using this for an Apple 1 clone, but (first) I don't know if that's even possible. I mean, it probably is. The board looks pretty customizable, with the ability to add or remove switches as needed, but I would need to connect it to another encoder board. But before I do that I figure I should ask (second) Is this board too valuable/important to be used for such a project? As it is, there are far more keys and switches than would be used on an Apple 1. I can remove the extras and reconfigure it for my needs. But if this was part of something genuinely significant, I'd rather see it preserved and find something else to suit my needs.

Screenshot 2023-07-09 at 7.58.34 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.19.33 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.19.49 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-09 at 8.19.58 PM.png

Maybe someone recognizes it? Knows where and what it came from? Is it important, or is it fair salvage?

If I were you I would leave it intact and figure out how it worked. Even if it isn't part of something genuinely significant, the fact that it is over 60 years old is. And why not building your own computer that is downwards Apple-1 compatible but can use all the functions of the keyboard?

You always can send it to me, I'll will take care of it :)

I was thinking about using this for an Apple 1 clone, but (first) I don't know if that's even possible.

It is possible. It appears to be an ASCII encoded parallel kb.
Ignore the keydingos who will offer to 'liberate' it from you.
Daniel's page of more than you ever wanted to know about Microswitch Hall Effect keyboards
What you have is an early series unit
Is that blue paint on the keycaps?
It's actually possible to clean that off with "goof-off" because they are double-shot plastic caps
but you have to be incredibly careful with the application.

If I were you I would leave it intact and figure out how it worked. Even if it isn't part of something genuinely significant, the fact that it is over 60 years old is. And why not building your own computer that is downwards Apple-1 compatible but can use all the functions of the keyboard?
I built the Apple 1 already. Works perfectly (now), but I have no case, and have been using a Commodore keyboard adaptor with it. As such, I've been on the lookout for a keyboard that would be less recognizable as being from another machine. Also, the date codes are from 1969, so... it's only 54.
All kidding aside, I agree. I should at least try to identify what it came from and all its functions before I relegate it to a "modern" clone system. Who knows, there may be someone out there looking for this exact keyboard.

It is possible. It appears to be an ASCII encoded parallel kb.
Ignore the keydingos who will offer to 'liberate' it from you.
Daniel's page of more than you ever wanted to know about Microswitch Hall Effect keyboards
What you have is an early series unit
Is that blue paint on the keycaps?
It's actually possible to clean that off with "goof-off" because they are double-shot plastic caps
but you have to be incredibly careful with the application.
From what I'm reading, this might not be ASCII. The switches use something called "Two of N encoding." If I'm understanding this right, ASCII boards used a more sophisticated (and expensive) matrix scanning that these boards were able to avoid. Still, I'm no longer doubting that it's possible to adapt it, but I'm less certain that I should.

As far as the "blue paint" is concerned... My bad. Or more precisely, my bad lighting! The keys are clean and veery shiny. I guess my iPad picked up an odd reflection when I took the picture. I have some other keys and caps (same mechanism) from what might have been a 10. Missing the 1 and 0 though. Also, it seems to have been scraped for parts. So when I get to testing the switches, I might have a few spares.

The keyboard layout is traditional ASCII (like a teletype), look at Shift+2, Shift+8, Shift+9, etc. This layout allowed for easier ASCII encoding, since the only difference between shift and unshift was a single bit. It looks like the matrix scan lines go to that (external) encoder board, so the actual codes will depend on that. But, given the simplicity of that encoder board, it is probably ASCII.

The keyboard layout is traditional ASCII (like a teletype), look at Shift+2, Shift+8, Shift+9, etc. This layout allowed for easier ASCII encoding, since the only difference between shift and unshift was a single bit. It looks like the matrix scan lines go to that (external) encoder board, so the actual codes will depend on that. But, given the simplicity of that encoder board, it is probably ASCII.
Cool! So it can definitely be adapted to an Apple 1 (if only temporarily). Looking at the edge connector, I could probably rig it without making any permanent changes. At the very least, this would let me test some of its functionality. But I still don't know where it came from. Is there a catalog somewhere online of terminals/computers from the era? Something that I might be able to identify it from a picture?

At this point, I'm pretty sure that this is not the keyboard I want to use perminantly. It's just too cool to alter perminantly. But at the same time, I don't have a lot that could concievably work with it. My clone is one of those hand built replica boards that uses the original chip set. So it's as close to an original Apple 1 as I'm ever going to get. Not that I would ever want an original Apple 1. At this point in my life, if I'm going to own something in the million dollar range, I better damn well be able to live in it! Still, this is as close to the board's era that I have. Maybe it could work with a TRS-80 or my PET. But those seem like more work to connect.

No way it is going to work with a TRS80 straight away, but I suppose you can get anything to work with anything if you want to make it happen. <-- my 2 cents

I was going to suggest that you post those pics here - you might be able to get some history and more. - check out the

IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

edit: if you do, be sure to mention/show that model number SW-10159 and the co.

Last edited:
It looks like a keyboard from a CRT-based (video) data entry terminal. May not be able to tell more without seeing the enclosure it was mounted in. It may have been a large desk-type thing, like keypunches were, so we may never know. There does appear to be a stylized "SDR" on the back of the encoder PCB, and the photo of the front is not clear enough to see if there are any clues there.

No way it is going to work with a TRS80 straight away, but I suppose you can get anything to work with anything if you want to make it happen. <-- my 2 cents

I was going to suggest that you post those pics here - you might be able to get some history and more. - check out the

IDENTIFY THE KEYBOARD thread

edit: if you do, be sure to mention/show that model number SW-10159 and the co.
Figured it would be more trouble than it's worth. I'll post there as soon as I'm approved to do so, Thanks!

It looks like a keyboard from a CRT-based (video) data entry terminal. May not be able to tell more without seeing the enclosure it was mounted in. It may have been a large desk-type thing, like keypunches were, so we may never know. There does appear to be a stylized "SDR" on the back of the encoder PCB, and the photo of the front is not clear enough to see if there are any clues there.
Thanks, I hadn't noticed the SDR. As for the front pic, here are all the logos/markings I could find:
Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 6.13.38 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-10 at 6.13.30 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-07-10 at 6.13.20 PM.png
All the logos are along the front edge of the board, and presented in the order they appear. Sorry it's not much to go on. I tried Googling what appears to be either a part or model number, but all I got was a (possibly automatic) rifle from Smith and Wesson. Obviously not what I'm looking for.

The keyboard was probably manufactured for the company that built the machine, so "micro switch" just tells us the keyboard manufacturer, not the origins of the machine it was used in. Unless someone can match the keyboard to the finished product, but without at least a name that would be difficult. Probably not many people left that actually used one of those terminals.

This is an interesting keyboard.

Two of N encoding info here - hall-effect switches!

Micro Switch was known for them and the SW series was one of there their original series https://telcontar.net/KBK/Micro_Switch/SW The examples they give are no earlier than 1973, but there is a lot of info on that site.

Let us know what you find out (and clear pictures of the chips would be cool too).

Back