• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

MITS Altair 8800 Computer System Super Nice

Tomas Hultgren

Hello, computer enthusiasts,

I have an original MITS Altair 8800b Computer System with Double in-Cabinet 8" Disk Drives for sale. The machine, front panel, CPU board, and backplane are in absolute mint condition with no corrosion or marks.

It has been stored cool, dark and dry, since February 1980 when I stored it away in original shipment box with original padding foam. It has been stored in a wardrobe indoors.

I have two items for sale the Altair 8800b and the matching MITS Altair Dual 8" Disk Drive Unit. They are booth stunning looking, and to see them booth turned on is a great sight. You can buy them separately or together and I will combine shipping globaly.

The units bought August 21 1979. I am the only owner and I used them a very short time. I will sell the computer system because of sudden financial problems. Otherwise I would have liked to keep them. They are two beautiful machines.

The Altair 8800 can to load and run MITS BASIC that is included in the sale and will be delivered in an 8” Floppy Disk (originally from Micro-Soft). The software disk has been stored in double envelopes with aluminum foil wrapped around, since 1979.

The MITS Altair 8800 Double in-Cabinet 8" Disk Drive system is a super rare Duo 8” Disc Drive for Altair 8800b. It is 100 percent matching in appearance and designed to work with the included duo S-100 disc controller card.

A 8K Static memory board that has been stored separately in its box to be fitted in the S-100 multifunction slot board are included.

Full schematics of the machine are provided in the comprehensive original Altair Manual (also a manual for the Dual 8” IMG_3558 SMALL.JPGIMG_3560 SMALL.JPGIMG_3565 SMALL.JPGIMG_3591 SMALL.JPG Disc Drive is included)

A Cromemco 8K Bytesaver card will be included. The Bytesaver, introduced by Cromemco in 1976, was the first programmable memory board for the MITS Altair and S-100 bus microcomputer systems. The Bytesaver have sockets for 8 UV-erasable EPROMs providing up to 8 Kbytes of storage. The EPROMs could be programmed by the Bytesaver, or read as computer memory. In the history of microcomputer systems, the Bytesaver was the first viable alternative to the use of punched paper tape for storing programs, and has been called “a great advance in microcomputer technology.

With the computer system in 1979 I also bought a new Computer Cabinet from MITS for hosting the Altair 8800 and the Dual Disk drive. The Computer Cabinet was used for hosting cables and mounting the computer on expandable rail bars for easy access. It has its own internal power connector, data connectors and carrying handlebars. This Cabinet I have also for sale and can be purchased together with withe the Altair 8800 and the Dual 8" Disk Drive. I am thinking around 5000 usd for the Altair 8800, 8" Diskette BASIC software and 8 KRAM, 600 usd for the Cromemco 8K Bytesaver including PROMs, 1600 for the MITS Altair Dual 8" Disk Drive and 500 for the system cabinet. But I'm open for discussion.

Shipping
Then this I a very rare machine I will ship globally. I will recalculate shipment cost for exact price depending on location and purchase. I will ship first day after payment. I have extensive experience in packing delicate vintage radio equipment and vintage computers. The Altair 8800 and the Dual 8" Disk Drive Unit will ship by double boxing seriously padded. Extra strong reinforced external box and plenty of padding between and in boxes. S-100 cards will be removed from slots and shipped in a separate boxes with separate double padding within the inside box.

The Computer and Disc Drive are sold as is, in very good shape, mint condition, but the items are 40 years old.
Please write me for any questions.

All the best,
TomasIMG_3612 SMALL.JPGIMG_3613 SMALL.JPGIMG_3715 SAMLL.JPGIMG_3726 SMALL.JPGIMG_3949 SMALL.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3613 SMALL.JPG
    IMG_3613 SMALL.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3943 SMALL.JPG
    IMG_3943 SMALL.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3834 SMALL.jpg
    IMG_3834 SMALL.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3845 SMALL.JPG
    IMG_3845 SMALL.JPG