• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4 Engaged!

Rick Ethridge

Veteran Member
I got all my tools together, made all my downloads, and now have an updated LSDOS 6.3.1 disk with Shell20 ECI. Everything is now Y2K compliant. Now all I need is to get my clock-calendar card software installed and my four-drive unit will be good until 2014! RLE

P.S. It was a "real trip" doing file conversions on both my PC and Model 4. I still have a way to go before I'm completely satisfied.

Could you explain more detail?
I responded to your other post, and would like to learn.
I have a model 4d and several 4p's and would like to learn how to use downloaded programs.

TRS-80 File Conversion

TRS-80 File Conversion

There are two methods of file conversion based on conversion of FILES or DISKS. The disk file conversion is the easiest. DSK files are converted using David Keil's emulator and the utility file archive. The utilities include "dummy" files allowing access to PC 5.25" drives on older PC computers. The emulator needs to be configured so that the boot disk is drive :0, the disk image to be copied is drive :1 and the PC drive (FDD360.dsk?) is either drive :2 or :3. Using LSDOS 6.3.1 just requires a DISKCOPY. Caution: you'll need the LSDOS configured for 4 drives! The emulator's copy is only good for two drives. If you're not familiar with reconfiguration just use the READDISK PC utility to create a .dsk of a known good disk. Copying Model III disks will require creating a Model III .DSK image file.
Transferring files requires a PC or TRS-80 conversion program running on a two floppy system. I use the Monte's Toolkit DblCross program on my Model 4. Other programs exist on most TRS-80 web sites.

Back