• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model II kbd, is my aluminum mylar shot?

dmemphis

Experienced Member
There is very inconsistent "silvery" coverage on the mylar. From almost clear to fairly spotty. It like the foam ate the aluminum. I don't think I should bother reusing the disks.
150239305891513267225.jpg
Options?

Are you sure?
That's what I bought, but they are just the pads with tape on both sides.
In Ian's video, he transplants his mylar.

Are you sure?
That's what I bought, but they are just the pads with tape on both sides.
In Ian's video, he transplants his mylar.

In most cases you can reuse the mylar discs. The foam is more important. If the discs are very bad it is better to replace them.
You have to made them by your self by punching them from a sheet of mylar.

Yeah, I see now with some research that sometimes the mylar is shot.
Saw similar looking deterioration on a SOL restoration site.
Thanks.

Wow that thread really clears it up! Thanks.
I tested some wrap from the dollar store. It works good.
One side conducts with about 1 ohm and the other not.
Not having the punch, I think I'm going to stick the 76 pads down on the conductive side of a sheet of the mylar and
cut around them. It won't take too long to trim them up and may be easier than trying to
align a small circular mylar onto the sticky of the pad.
Sure wish someone just made a bag of these ready to install!

You can always buy a Sun Type 4 keyboard and harvest the pads. They are a direct replacement for the Model II pads. I've found that the foam used in the Sun keyboards is superior and every one I've opened had good pads. They are also about 10 years younger than the Model II keyboards. Sun fans might find it sacrilegious though.

I was never a fan of their keyboards. We have piles of them at work.

You can always buy a Sun Type 4 keyboard and harvest the pads. They are a direct replacement for the Model II pads. I've found that the foam used in the Sun keyboards is superior and every one I've opened had good pads. They are also about 10 years younger than the Model II keyboards. Sun fans might find it sacrilegious though.

Is the Model 16 keyboard the same? If so I should go ahead and just plan on rebuilding the keyboard and order the pads from the auction listed above.

Is the Model 16 keyboard the same? If so I should go ahead and just plan on rebuilding the keyboard and order the pads from the auction listed above.

M16 keyboard is essentially the same as the MII keyboard. Same pads.

Back