• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

mono Canon AS-100 located somewhere in Australia

Chris2005

Banned
e-mail me if you're interested. Too much for me to ship it. I want a color unit besides (O do I want one). Not positive the bloke is selling it, but I wanted some collector in those parts to have a crack. E-mail me if interested and I'll forward his contact information.
If you don't know what it is, it is simply the grooviest peecee (though not IBM compatible) of them all. Lookit here:

http://old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=591

well worth saving/acquiring. The man isn't about to chuck it, and possibly won't even sell. But thought it might be worth someone's while to find out for sure.

Re: mono Canon AS-100 located somewhere in Australia

"Chris2005" wrote:

-> e-mail me if you're interested. Too much for me to ship it. I want a
-> color unit besides (O do I want one). Not positive the bloke is selling it,
-> but I wanted some collector in those parts to have a crack. E-mail me
-> if interested and I'll forward his contact information.

-> If you don't know what it is, it is simply the grooviest peecee (though
-> not IBM compatible) of them all. Lookit here:

-> well worth saving/acquiring. The man isn't about to chuck it, and
-> possibly won't even sell. But thought it might be worth someone's
-> while to find out for sure.

Sounds like an interesting system, I won't trouble the fella for this
though - since I'm extremely limited in space & don't have the time.

Judging by this system which -would- run CP/M-86 v1.1 (no doubt) it
makes me wonder if an IBM boot version would work? It probably had a
custom version perhaps?

Even the video isn't CGA (which many of the IBMs used back then) - but
better! I wonder if the mono supports graphics, or is it some kind of
expansion for a Graphics Colour card?

Certainally it's a myserious system - just popping up like that! Should
make a nice Games machine!

CP/M User.

>Judging by this system which -would- run CP/M-86 v1.1 (no doubt) it
>makes me wonder if an IBM boot version would work? It probably had a
>custom version perhaps?

Yes, like I said, it's an early IBM-incompatible. It has it's own versions of DOS 1.x and 2.x. And some software was either especially created for it (probably by Canon), or was ported. Almost everything ran Lotus 1-2-3 and other popular apps. The hardest thing to find for these systems oftentimes though are compilers. With most of these thing you should at least get the BASIC interpreter. I have a Xerox 16/8, another rare weirdo, but I haven't booted it yet! (it does self boot into a word processor though). I believe there were also versions of CP/M-86 for the AS-100.

>Even the video isn't CGA (which many of the IBMs used back then) - but
>better! I wonder if the mono supports graphics, or is it some kind of
>expansion for a Graphics Colour card?

I'll bet it can do graphics. In reality, I'm not so sure the guy is even selling it after reading over his e-mail. The color card (and the mono one) probably use the NEC pd7220 chip, like the NEC incompatibles and others. The Dec Rainbow 100 used that too now that I think of it. Yes, totatlly incompatible with CGA, except perhaps if you did everything through DOS/BIOS service calls, but they were slooooow.

>Certainally it's a myserious system - just popping up like that! Should
>make a nice Games machine!

Not in your life dude. I sincerely doubt there was any games that ran on this particular machine (I could stand to be corrected though). I think the Tandy 2000 had flight simulator ported to it, but that's all. Quentin Tubb in NZ has some little game for the NEC APC III, and that was a surprise to me.

ummm, about half the disks that came with it (not alot, maybe 6-10) imaged ok, the other...well didn't. I'd have to look over my files. What do you have for it? And I think I have all the docs that were available...a number of big binders.

I have some software docs (MS/86, CP/M86, etc). Also have WordStar- 86 and meebbe a few others, on 8" disks.

--T

dude...what's going on??? How did your reply get merged with my message? Anyhoo...what do you want for those disks? PM or e-mail me if you prefer (I believe you know at least 2 of my addys).

Back