• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

More PS/2 trouble

Or.....

Or, maybe the high density sense switch isn't working properly on that floppy drive. If so, having one with a good switch on the drive would solve the entire thing with no rewiring.

And, as I get better and better at thinking "TTL", just grounding Pin 2, leaving the existing wiring alone, would set the High Density signal properly. As I look at the imaginary circuits in my brain, shorting Pin 2 wouldn't cause problems.

Edit: That's exactly how the HD sense switch works, I would bet. Microswitch falls thru the hole in the disk. Switch goes into the "open" position, which shorts the HD signal to ground.

Ok, I know what it's like that early in the morning ;) Not much of a morning person myself.. I tried the select->density connection but it didn't work. You were right about it not reading 720k disks though.

I'm trying to fit the reference disk contents on a 720k disk atm, after that I'll see if grounding pin 2 will make it read 1.44 disks!

Well, the Select signal is that same kind, On = Grounded.

Should be a waste of time to ground pin 2 or so I believe.

Maybe it's something weird like the cmos setup defaulted to 720K. I find that one very difficult to believe also.

You're right, that didn't work either..
I seem to have found a solution though.. If I put a bit of tape over the HD hole, it reads HD disks just fine, even formatted as 1.44 :shock:

Weird, that means the HD microswitch is doing something.

Ok, whatever works, as we love to say.

It may have been a bios setting after all. I had the reference disk on a HD disk with tape over the hole, ran it and let it auto-configure itself. Right now I'm running a full system test and so far the diskdrive test seems to go fine without tape over the hole :)

I'll get all this sorted out and look into the switch thing, and once I get everything working properly I'll post schematics for the adapter cable, as I'm sure more people will have use for this. I remember seeing a post in the wanted section about a drive for this machine.

Appears that the IBM floppy drives are not really that strange. They have that 40 pin connector with the power on it. If the drive is configured as Drive A, it works as Drive A. Unlike most later floppies, you configured them all as Drive B and the cable turned one of them into Drive A.

The web documentation is likely somewhat incorrect. Those "reserved" deals could just be normal Drive A signals. Seems unlikely that the floppy drive would pickup Drive B signals and move them over to A. No, we disproved that theory because the A signals showed up in the correct places and at the correct time. If the theory was right, your original cable would have worked as is.

I think it's a bit strange that this was the only drive that worked. The others made the right sounds but didn't read anything. Altho I haven't tried them again after the self-configure.
Maybe it's a coincidence, but this drive happens to be manufactured by ALPS, same as the original drive.

It boots completely without errors now, and I just upgraded to a 120 MB harddisk, changed the fan to a less deafening one, and installed MS-DOS 6.22.
Then I decided to get creative.. The original mounting bracket fit just fine on this drive, and the activity LED and eject button lined up quite well too. The 1.44 button didn't fit, but nothing I couldn't solve with a bent piece of metal and some super sticky double sided tape. So now it looks original, at least until I remove the cover.

Here's the result!

120 MB!

New fan

The diskdrive with the cover in place.. This will do just fine until I find a working original drive!

And there we go, system info on the screen.

And Prince of Persia ;)

Last edited:
Here's a summary of how to build the adapter cable, for future reference :)

Ingredients:
  • Something that will fit into the 40 pin slot. I used the connector from a broken diskdrive. The contacts are spaced the same as on ISA cards, so you could cut one of those up if you don't have anything else :)
  • A 34 pin floppy drive cable, if you dont have one laying around just get a regular floppy cable at your local computer store.
  • A bit of wiring with an FDD power connector, I cut one off a broken powersupply but I'm pretty sure you can buy a molex->fdd converter at most computer stores, then just remove the molex contact and you're good to go.
  • Soldering iron

First, let's define pin positions..

The 40-pin end should have have 17+3 contacts on each side of the connector. Pins are as in the pics:

On the 34-pin regular "modern" FDD cable with seperate power cable, one of the outmost wires should be marked with a different color than the others. That marked cable is pin 1. The next one is pin 2, and so on.
Make sure you remove the twist in the cable or the cables may/will be in the wrong order!

On both the 40 pin and 34 pin, all odd pins are ground, with the exception of pin 3 at the 40 pin end, which is reserved. Now in theory, both on your diskdrive and the slot at the motherboard/controller side, all grounds should be the same. So you can save yourself some work and don't need to connect every single ground wire. I only connected a couple of them. That's half the work done!

Now for the pin conversion, this is where it gets interesting!
Code:
40pin   34pin   Description
2       x       Density Select (I have not connected this, 0=HD, 1=DD) 
4       x       Reserved
6       x       Reserved
8       8       Index
10      x       Reserved
12      12      Drive Select (B)
14      x       Reserved
16      16      Motor Enable (B)
18      18      Direction In
20      20      Step
22      22      Write Data
24      24      Write Enable
26      26      Track 0
28      28      Write Protect
30      30      Read Data
32      32      Head 1 Select
34      34      Disk Change
36      x       Ground (I'm using ground from a different place though)
38      PWR     +5V 
40      PWR     +12V

I had some trouble getting the drive to read HD disks, I found that putting a bit of tape over the HD hole on the disk made it work, even if it was formatted as 1.44 MB. Strange, but true. After running the BIOS setup it now reads both 720k and 1.44 MB disks without problems even without using pieces of tape, with pin 2 (density select) completely disconnected.
Pin 12 and 14 may seem counter intuitive too, but using pin 14 and 10 (Drive Select A/Motor Enable A) for those did not work. So you have to use Drive Select B and Motor Enable B. Your drive will show up as drive A anyway!
Other than that, just connect all of the pins up to 34.

For powering the drive, you need the power cable/connector. There should be 2 black wires (ground), a red wire (+5V) and a yellow wire (+12V). The red wire goes to pin 38 on the 40-pin connector, the yellow wire goes to pin 40. You can solder the black wires to any ground you want on the odd side of the connector, I used pin 37 and 39 as you can see in the picture.

That's all! With a bit of luck, you should now have a working floppydrive! I tested with 4 different drives and only one of them worked, I suspect this may have something to do with the controller not being able to handle the other ones. The drive spins, tries to read, but the result is always the same: Abort, Retry, Fail?
I've ordered a book that should contain a load of technical information about the PS/2 and I will see if it contains any useful information about this, because it'd be great to be able to use just any drive.
The drive I'm using that works is manufactured by ALPS, manufacturer part number DF334H015A. These seem to be available all over the net both new and used.

Good luck :)

Your finished product will look something like this

Last edited:
OK, stupid question: could you not have made use of that white IDC connector on the PCB to connect the drive, maybe with a little rewiring?

Sure, altho it would have complicated things a bit. The pin order changes, and the wires are really tiny. I haven't touched a soldering iron for a while so I went for the biggest contact areas available ;)

Yeah, I wouldn't fancy soldering to those either ;-) What I mean is using the connector from a regular floppy cable and, after rearranging the wires in the correct order, clamping it back together. You'd probably still need to solder on the power wires though.

Hmm, but the connector from a regular floppy cable won't fit in this white connector on the PCB :) I don't have a good picture of it, but it's a completely different connector. For starters the connector on the PCB is female, and has all pins on a single row, the cable that's supposed to go in it uses kind of a small and flexibe cartridge style connector.

Aah, those - I know what you mean now. From the photos it looks like something else. Forget I said anything ;-)

Greetings! This is my first post, so please be gentle. This thread is quite old but as I am trying to build one of these things, it has become relevant to me. I'm trying to resurrect a PS/2 Model 70 who has a bad floppy drive, and the familiar 161 and 163 errors. Also, the 601 error which I presume is due to the bad floppy drive. Before I can boot to the reference disk I need the FDD to work.

So, I built a cable similar to the ones described here to connect one of my "normal" 34-pin FDD's to it. I actually went the IDC connector route by taking apart and rewiring a standard FDD cable and hooking it up to a 40-pin plastic edge connector thing from DigiKey. It almost works. The 601 error is now gone, the system accesses the floppy at the right time. I hit F1 at the "Not OK" screen with errors 161 and 163, at which time the computer tries to boot from the floppy drive. It only tries for a second, though, and it immediately drops to BASIC.

I don't know what other problems may exist in this system, but would you agree that it seems likely that there is a problem in my converter? I ohmed it out and triple-checked the pinouts, and all seems dandy. But I did not understand the earlier discussion about making sure that the FDD is "jumpered" to work as Drive B. I hadn't heard of such a thing, and none of my FDDs have user-accessible jumpers. I took out the floppy cable's "twist" at the Drive Sel & Motor Enable signals so pins 10-17 on the 40-pin edge connector are connected in-order to pins 10-17 of the FDD. Apart from pin 3 and 6 (floating), everything on pins 1-34 is sent in-order. Pins 37-40 are split off and connected to the FDD power. As an experiment, I tried it again, with the A/B twist present, and the drive never lit up at all.

Any advice? I'm pulling my hair out. Whether you have advice or not, thanks for reading this far. :)

Snq and Zorori, both of your PS/2s are going to use the 6 volt lithium battery.

Right, but I already replaced my battery. I did that before attempting anything else. My problem is that my FDD won't attempt to boot the reference disk, which I need to "fix" errors 161 and 163. It accesses the FDD for a second, and then drops to BASIC.

Back