• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Motherboard with NEC V40

I've always wondered if Intel gave IBM a sweetheart deal on their peripheral chips. After all, they were all 8-bit 8085-family silicon--and that market wasn't a growth market.

yup, a lot of those chips were ultra commonly found in 8 bit machines. And IBM used them again in the PC/AT!!! They doubled up on some though, whoop dee do.

Evidently Moto had troubles bringing the 68k to fruition. Imagine the world if IBM...well IBM did, in their lab computer. I've always wanted one. I don't even know of anyone that has one.

I think the 68K was groundbreaking in its process as well as its architecture--I think Moto used a 3µ process, which seems silly huge today, but was very aggressive back then. I remember seeing the Moto display at Wescon (ISTR), but only managed to get a bunch of 68K literature. Usually you could get samples, but they didn't have any to hand out.

The CS-9000 was "leaked" by IBM in 1981 (formal announcement wasn't until 1982) just ahead of the 5150. It had a lot of people briefly wondering if the 5150 was going to be a 68K box. Too bad for everyone that it wasn't.

and don't forget about the IBM PC Radio. Has an 80186. I have 2, never tried much to get either to work. I know it boots dos, so that tells you something.

I've accumulated the weirdest stuff over the years. Few things beat my Vicky though. Oh how little money I payed for it.

V40 works!

V40 works!

It's may be funny, but I have connected the +5V power to this nibbled motherboard and observed
the V40 CPU signals with an oscilloscope.
It works! It starts to perform POST procedure and stopped because there is no RAM on board.

The only the thing that seems unusual is that it does not beep on this error. But V40 works!!!

Back