• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Southwest Motorola EXORset 35 in excellent condition

Covers: Nevada, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico

nevadaOZman

Delivery Options
In Country Shipping or Local Pickup
Update on my Motorola EXORset 35 for sale – make reasonable offer (single transaction, non-partable… ie: take the whole enchilada)
re: VERY WELL kept vintage (working!) Motorola EXORset 35 to sell (ref OP: Feb 3, 2022)
1680128048553.png 1680128076421.png
As a retired EE and original owner, I have a working and VERY CLEAN Motorola "EXORset 35" (6809 based), complete with full original documentation and multiple System disks. Has lived in my electronics lab so has never been subjected to the elements or dusty environments, etc!

I would like to sell it so it might go/get into a working museum or collectors hands for the benefit of educational and historical technology.

As mentioned, it is a working platform (I was on it in December '21 and mid-2022), and both drives read & write. Overall the unit is in great condition (inside also!) - you'll not find another in better condition... and likely my ‘35 is the *only* functional ‘35 around anywhere – so please: appreciate it **IS** actually a rare item and gem.

NOTE: I was not able to post in a single thread (there is a verified issue with the Forum site relating to actual character counts)(anything other than black, straight, unmodified text takes up extra "room") so I will add a lot of info to my own post - *if* the system lets me tonight. Please look for my reply to my own post, labled: Motorola EXORset 35 in excellent condition-Continued

Background:

My EXORset 35 is an updated/upscaled version of the "30"... based on the 6809 processor. Production on the ‘35s were begun in 1982… and my drives are marked by QA as: 4-82. This unit had just a few hours as a show-demonstrator on it (in Motorola-proper in Phoenix-where I lived at the time) before I received it - somewhere around last quarter of ‘82. I fully believe I am the original owner and can share it has extremely low hours on it... far less than a literal work-year of 2080. A good estimate is around 800-900 hrs which implies around 3+ months of 40 hour work weeks. The majority of my work/what I did, was hardware design & PCB design so that "3+ months" is actually spread out over roughly 10 years. I was darn good {and fast} at writing code (one of the reasons I got to teach it). To save on machine wear and discs, I always paper-coded before I entered any files into my '35. Call me crazy, but that was me. Used some paper of course, but I had very few assembly errors - ever - due to that protocol.

Fun Facts: Among many interesting projects, I used this unit to create the software (to support my hardware) for the first intelligent seat ejection electronics for the USAF and USN, software for the 1st H2S sensor (also my design) and electronics - capable of <1% sensing [with sensor auto-purge], and software routines to compliment my hardware for one of the very first “smart” payphone products after Ma Bell deregulated in the mid 80’s.

The power supply fuse is marked 4A, which makes this a roughly 500W machine (max). The system was never stressed (except at QC time, like Motorola did with all their production units). I never personally inserted any aux or extender cards into the card slots (top rear left of the ’35). Also note: the serno tag on the back has dropped off somewhere along the line.

If you’re not aware of the original cost of a '35, it was definitely sticker shock even for me back then... over $17,000.00. So I share, this was not an inexpensive item in the "way back". The fact it is a very rare unit and working and has all the documentation and discs that came with it make it a darn good value, especially to a bona fide collector, but I'm not all about the $$$. I'm actually more interested in a good/proper new home for "Betsy" because she IS a working machine and in great condition.

Stats:
The ’35 alone, weighs: 57.5 lb.
The documentation and discs (ref: 2-3-22) weigh: 13 lbs.
The two newly (3-27-23) located ORIGINAL binders of ’35 info weigh: 13 lbs.

Notes:
👨‍🏫 The reason I'm selling this beauty at all is that I have to downsize my lab to what I tend to use most often.

BTW: To the benefit of all tech's and engineers: The filter caps appear to be in great shape (there are no leaks/bulges/dings/distortion/etc). [Since I hadn't run the ‘35 in a few years, I went through a slow scheduled & *methodical* electrolytic cap reconditioning/reforming cycle [over 2 days - a full 48 hour period] before applying full power to the ‘35 on the 3rd day to insure ALL the A.E. caps were indeed without issue. (FINDINGS: No issues.)

FYI 👁️: I replaced the fan filter [foam], but it turns out I didn't really need to. The original was fine but a little weak, structurally. I'll send it with the unit so you can see how clean it was- I did not touch it/clean it. (ref the pic of the inside view of the '35 - you'll see how clean it was when I took the cover off)

FYI 👁️: The golden/brown vertically placed tape you see on the '35's video screen is something I put on many years ago. It's teflon tape [used during magnetics bobbin constructions that I once did] and was used as a field demarcation on the screen when looking at hex files. It just worked for me, so I left it in place.

👀 NOTE to those unfamiliar with the Exorset:
Generally speaking, the LEFT drive is the USER drive, the RIGHT drive is the SYSTEM drive. (ref: pic)

Lastly:
If interested I invite you to reach out. The only thing cosmically required here is for one to be serious about being a/the new owner.

PS:
Don't know if anyone pays attention to or reads INTROs anymore, but I have one... It will give you an idea of this 'tronics wizard' named: nevadaOZman
Thanks for your time.

View attachment 1254859

Attachments

• 1680130392172.png
    1680130392172.png
    470.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1680130367649.png
    1680130367649.png
    987.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 1680130175969.png
    1680130175969.png
    822.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 1680130130825.png
    1680130130825.png
    649.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 1680130118331.png
    1680130118331.png
    822.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1680130074596.png
    1680130074596.png
    617.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 1680128737034.png
    1680128737034.png
    453.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 1680128725148.png
    1680128725148.png
    440.5 KB · Views: 13
Motorola EXORset 35 in excellent condition-Continued

Okay, Under ATTCHMENTS (above), two pix show the two newly located binders.

And here's the rest of the info I wanted to share:

From my OP: my EXORset 35 comes with:
Moto original discs:
1982 M6809 SOFTWARE DISC 82SET35SYS G* EXORset 35 XDOS/CRT EDTR/RASMS
1982 M6809 SOFTWARE DISC 82SET35BAS D* EXORset 35 BASIC
1982 M6809 SOFTWARE DISC 82SET35AUX A* EXORset 35 AUXILLARY
1984 M6809 SOFTWARE DISC8 2X0UBASME A* 6800/01/(701) CROSS ASSEMBLER 1.0 OBJECT ON EXORSET

Moto original documents:
M68SETD35/D1 EXORSET DS35M DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM USERS MANUAL
M68SETEDITORM(D1) EXORSET CRT EDITOR REFERENCE MANUAL
M68XDOS4/S2 SUPPLEMENT TO EXORSET XDOS OPERATING SYSTEM USERS MANUAL
MSETPLOT1(D1) EXORSET 30 PLOT 1 USERS GUIDE
M68LLD(D4) MDOS LINKING LOADER REFERENCE MANUAL
M68LLD(A1) ADDENDUM TO MDOS LINKING LOADER REFERENCE MANUAL M68LLD(D4)
M68MASR(D2) MACRO ASSEMBLERS REFERENCE MANUAL 6800/6801/6805/6809
M68MASR(A5) ADDENDUM TO 6800/6801/6805/6809 MACRO ASSEMBLERS REFERENCE MANUAL M68MASR(D2)
M6809BASMR/D1 M6809 BASIC-M INTERACTIVE COMPILERS USERS MANUAL
MEX6801(D3) MC6801 SUPPORT SYSTEM USERS GUIDE
MSET30DOS(D1) EXORSET 30 XDOS OPERATING SYSTEM USERS GUIDE
M68SETPRC/D1 EXORSET PROGRAMMING "CARD" (SPIRAL BOUND PLASTICIZED FLIP-CARD SET)

Hand Copies of other original discs:
MOTOROLA MASTER BACKUP DISC 1 and DISC 2
Basic M
RASM/RASM05/RASM09
6809 SOFTWARE TRANSFER COMMANDS
EXORSET BOOTABLE XDOS 4.13 SYS RASM/RASM05/RASM09
PLOT.CM
XDOS PLOT + MISC + SELF TEST
BASIC M 4.2 DISC 1 AND DISC 2
XDOS CRT EDITOR + SELF TEST

Tertiary:
I include a number of never used/unused discs [free] and a few used (but near new) erased discs. There is also a parallel printer interface cable a newbie tech put together for me decades ago. It is still viable (I used it the entire time I coded) but you might want to rework it because it is nothing special to look at. If you do, take a bunch of pictures of the wiring and solder areas so you don't miss-wire anything. [I would do one wire at a time if it were me, but as shared, it worked/works, so I never had a real reason to touch it up... Anyway it would surely have hurt the techs' feelings if I had. The students' workmanship was not what an experienced tech would have done but it was his very first time at taking schematic prints of two different machines and creating a *working* interface cable. It worked right off the bat, so I thanked him and gave him a few more pointers for the future (like: stripping back further, and using heat shrink over each pin, etc). Again, I used that cable (which only works on the EXORset 35 - at it's rear port) until I sold my like-new full sized Panasonic dot matrix a handful of years ago.]

AND THE REALLY GREAT NEWS IS...

Two *additional* ORIGINAL binders of system information for my Exorset ’35 were located 3-27-23.
(This is the very last of all the items I personally have pertaining to my ’35. )
The breakdown on these two binders is as follows:

Original Binder 1 - Moto original documents:
(cover labeled MSET30COMP1 / but is in fact for the ’35 – Mot had not yet updated all their released docs)
MSETBAS(S1) M6809 BASIC-M INTERACTIVE COMPILER SUPPLEMENT MANUAL
BASCNEWS(D2) BASICNEWS FOR BASIC-M
MSET30BAS(D1) M6809 BASIC-M INTERACTIVE COMPILER USER’S GUIDE
M68MASR(D2) 6800/6801/6805/6809 MACRO ASSEMBLERS REFERENCE MANUAL
M68SETEDITORM(D1) EXORSET CRT EDITOR REFERENCE MANUAL
MSETLLD(D1) XDOS LINKING LOADER REFERENCE MANUAL
MSETPLOT1(D1) EXORSET 30 PLOT 1 USERS GUIDE

Original Binder 2 - Moto original documents:
(cover labeled MSET30COMP1 / but is in fact for the ’35 – Mot had not yet updated all their released docs)
M68XDOS4(S1) SUPPLEMENT TO EXORset XDOS OPERATING SYSTEM USER’S GUIDE
M68SETDS35/D1 EXORSET DS35 DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM USER’S MANUAL
… (hundreds of pages) which includes disassembly diagram, program jumpers, pinouts, schematics, parts lists, CRT data and service manual, floppy drive diagrams and servicing information, as well as the following Chapters:
Chapter 1 - Introduction
Chapter 2 – General System Operation
Chapter 3 - Backup Command
Chapter 4 - Chain Command
Chapter 5 - Copy Command
Chapter 6 - DEL Command
Chapter 7 - DIR Command
Chapter 8 - DOSGEN Command
Chapter 9 - DUMP Command
Chapter 10 - FORMAT Command
Chapter 11 - FREE Command
Chapter 12 - LIST Command
Chapter 13 - LOAD Command
Chapter 14 - MERGE Command
Chapter 15 - NAME Command
Chapter 16 - ROLLOUT Command
Chapter 17 – System Description
Chapter 18 – Input/Output Functions for Supported Devices
Chapter 19 – Input/Output Provisions for Supported Devices
Chapter 20 – Other System Functions
Chapter 21 – Error Messages
APPENDIX – Other System Functions

(SIDE VIEW PIX OF THOSE TWO BINDERS):
1680137629980.png

1680137648929.png

Here are a few more screen pix (from multiple program discs) to highlight the fact my '35 is operating:
1680137431670.png 1680137444700.png
1680137460814.png 1680137475747.png

Lastly:
Again if interested, I invite you to reach out.
Thank you.

"Uh - Uh - Uh" (to pitifully quote a famous TV detective -> Columbo/Peter Falk) "Pardon me.... Just one more thing..." :
Who can say they own a one-of-a-kind... anything? Not too many folks I bet. Well, THIS is one of those...

To be clear, my EXORset One-Of-A-Kind "package" contains: one working EXORset 35 (with power cord, and removeable access plate to plugins area), five (5) binders of Motorola EXORset 35 material, a set of programming discs, a set of backup discs, a bundle of blank discs, and an old '35 to printer parallel cable (which is intact, but I would rework it if it were me).

If it all was placed on a scale, I suspect the unpackaged (raw) weight is ~84-85 lbs.

All I have.
Peace and Love to everyone.

Hi , I found your listing quite by chance and I am interested (even though I am in Australia, I have relations in USA, so could ship there). My first job as a graduate engineer a Motorola sales rep loaned us an Exorcet 30 to try for a few months. I was using a 6800 exorciser and a cross assembler to write 09 code at the time, so it was amazing to use a machine with a graphical editor and built in display. I eneded up wire-wrapping an exorcet 30 and still have that today, as well as diskettes containing my first projects. Let me know if still for sale and what you want for it. Regards, Dean.

I'm just curious about the yellow colored band on your monitor running vertically; what's the story there?
Beaultiful system btw.
Hello mk2s, First: Thank you - it is a beauty! So I have a paragraph (FYI 👁️: The golden/brown vertically placed tape you see on the '35's video screen is something I put on many years ago. It's teflon tape [used during magnetics bobbin constructions that I once did] and was used as a field demarcation on the screen when looking at hex files. It just worked for me, so I left it in place.) in my post which explains it. Thanks, Dave.

Hi , I found your listing quite by chance and I am interested (even though I am in Australia, I have relations in USA, so could ship there). My first job as a graduate engineer a Motorola sales rep loaned us an Exorcet 30 to try for a few months. I was using a 6800 exorciser and a cross assembler to write 09 code at the time, so it was amazing to use a machine with a graphical editor and built in display. I eneded up wire-wrapping an exorcet 30 and still have that today, as well as diskettes containing my first projects. Let me know if still for sale and what you want for it. Regards, Dean.
Hi Dean,
Thank you for the reach out. That's great that you actually have had experience with such (I feel, is) a cool machine - AND that you still have a board & discs! So I'm in Nevada (Reno/Sparks area). Where might you ship the unit & support items to in the US? Yes, my unit is still available... and I would suggest shipping all the documentation and discs in one crate, and use a second one for "Betsy" (my '35). Please appreciate the buyer pays for the items for sale and the shipping. Since I'm guessing the freight [weight] charge will be a bit costly (and we don't know what that is right now but we can clearly look into it), why don't you throw me a reasonable number for the purchase. I want to be fair, because my intent is for "Bet's" to have a proud new home where she'll be appreciated, and operated, and it feels like you may very well be the perfect person for that to happen. Thanks for your time, Dave. PS: I inquired at the US Post Office and the EXORset weighs too much and is too large so they won't handle it... I feel the best bet for shipping everything is likely UPS or FEDEX.

Update on my Motorola EXORset 35 for sale – make reasonable offer (single transaction, non-partable… ie: take the whole enchilada)
re: VERY WELL kept vintage (working!) Motorola EXORset 35 to sell (ref OP: Feb 3, 2022)
View attachment 1254854 View attachment 1254855
As a retired EE and original owner, I have a working and VERY CLEAN Motorola "EXORset 35" (6809 based), complete with full original documentation and multiple System disks. Has lived in my electronics lab so has never been subjected to the elements or dusty environments, etc!

I would like to sell it so it might go/get into a working museum or collectors hands for the benefit of educational and historical technology.

As mentioned, it is a working platform (I was on it in December '21 and mid-2022), and both drives read & write. Overall the unit is in great condition (inside also!) - you'll not find another in better condition... and likely my ‘35 is the *only* functional ‘35 around anywhere – so please: appreciate it **IS** actually a rare item and gem.

NOTE: I was not able to post in a single thread (there is a verified issue with the Forum site relating to actual character counts)(anything other than black, straight, unmodified text takes up extra "room") so I will add a lot of info to my own post - *if* the system lets me tonight. Please look for my reply to my own post, labled: Motorola EXORset 35 in excellent condition-Continued

Background:

My EXORset 35 is an updated/upscaled version of the "30"... based on the 6809 processor. Production on the ‘35s were begun in 1982… and my drives are marked by QA as: 4-82. This unit had just a few hours as a show-demonstrator on it (in Motorola-proper in Phoenix-where I lived at the time) before I received it - somewhere around last quarter of ‘82. I fully believe I am the original owner and can share it has extremely low hours on it... far less than a literal work-year of 2080. A good estimate is around 800-900 hrs which implies around 3+ months of 40 hour work weeks. The majority of my work/what I did, was hardware design & PCB design so that "3+ months" is actually spread out over roughly 10 years. I was darn good {and fast} at writing code (one of the reasons I got to teach it). To save on machine wear and discs, I always paper-coded before I entered any files into my '35. Call me crazy, but that was me. Used some paper of course, but I had very few assembly errors - ever - due to that protocol.

Fun Facts: Among many interesting projects, I used this unit to create the software (to support my hardware) for the first intelligent seat ejection electronics for the USAF and USN, software for the 1st H2S sensor (also my design) and electronics - capable of <1% sensing [with sensor auto-purge], and software routines to compliment my hardware for one of the very first “smart” payphone products after Ma Bell deregulated in the mid 80’s.

The power supply fuse is marked 4A, which makes this a roughly 500W machine (max). The system was never stressed (except at QC time, like Motorola did with all their production units). I never personally inserted any aux or extender cards into the card slots (top rear left of the ’35). Also note: the serno tag on the back has dropped off somewhere along the line.

If you’re not aware of the original cost of a '35, it was definitely sticker shock even for me back then... over $17,000.00. So I share, this was not an inexpensive item in the "way back". The fact it is a very rare unit and working and has all the documentation and discs that came with it make it a darn good value, especially to a bona fide collector, but I'm not all about the $$$. I'm actually more interested in a good/proper new home for "Betsy" because she IS a working machine and in great condition.

Stats:
The ’35 alone, weighs: 57.5 lb.
The documentation and discs (ref: 2-3-22) weigh: 13 lbs.
The two newly (3-27-23) located ORIGINAL binders of ’35 info weigh: 13 lbs.

Notes:
👨‍🏫 The reason I'm selling this beauty at all is that I have to downsize my lab to what I tend to use most often.

BTW: To the benefit of all tech's and engineers: The filter caps appear to be in great shape (there are no leaks/bulges/dings/distortion/etc). [Since I hadn't run the ‘35 in a few years, I went through a slow scheduled & *methodical* electrolytic cap reconditioning/reforming cycle [over 2 days - a full 48 hour period] before applying full power to the ‘35 on the 3rd day to insure ALL the A.E. caps were indeed without issue. (FINDINGS: No issues.)

FYI 👁️: I replaced the fan filter [foam], but it turns out I didn't really need to. The original was fine but a little weak, structurally. I'll send it with the unit so you can see how clean it was- I did not touch it/clean it. (ref the pic of the inside view of the '35 - you'll see how clean it was when I took the cover off)

FYI 👁️: The golden/brown vertically placed tape you see on the '35's video screen is something I put on many years ago. It's teflon tape [used during magnetics bobbin constructions that I once did] and was used as a field demarcation on the screen when looking at hex files. It just worked for me, so I left it in place.

👀 NOTE to those unfamiliar with the Exorset:
Generally speaking, the LEFT drive is the USER drive, the RIGHT drive is the SYSTEM drive. (ref: pic)

Lastly:
If interested I invite you to reach out. The only thing cosmically required here is for one to be serious about being a/the new owner.

PS:
Don't know if anyone pays attention to or reads INTROs anymore, but I have one... It will give you an idea of this 'tronics wizard' named: nevadaOZman
Thanks for your time.

View attachment 1254859
Oopsie - a mistake:
listed as: Fun Facts: ... software for the 1st H2S sensor (also my design) and electronics - capable of <1% sensing [with sensor auto-purge], and software...
should be: Fun Facts: ... software for the 1st H2S sensor (also my design) and electronics - capable of <1PPM sensing [with sensor auto-purge], and software...

Hi Dean,
Thank you for the reach out. That's great that you actually have had experience with such (I feel, is) a cool machine - AND that you still have a board & discs! So I'm in Nevada (Reno/Sparks area). Where might you ship the unit & support items to in the US? Yes, my unit is still available... and I would suggest shipping all the documentation and discs in one crate, and use a second one for "Betsy" (my '35). Please appreciate the buyer pays for the items for sale and the shipping. Since I'm guessing the freight [weight] charge will be a bit costly (and we don't know what that is right now but we can clearly look into it), why don't you throw me a reasonable number for the purchase. I want to be fair, because my intent is for "Bet's" to have a proud new home where she'll be appreciated, and operated, and it feels like you may very well be the perfect person for that to happen. Thanks for your time, Dave. PS: I inquired at the US Post Office and the EXORset weighs too much and is too large so they won't handle it... I feel the best bet for shipping everything is likely UPS or FEDEX.
Hi Dean, didn't hear back so just checking: were you still interested in my EXORset?

Back