• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My 520ST has black screen with white border :(

Had this been the 80s and you'd called Atari support they would reportedly have asked you to lift the computer a couple of inches of the table and drop it to see if that would help ;) :)

I'd recommend that your first step should be opening up the computer and taking out all the seated chips one by one and putting them back in, making sure they are firmly seated. That will fix many of the problems you'd get from your ST's. I can also remember sometime during the early 90s, I had problems with the joystickports on my 520 and after trying everything I opened it up and discovered a nice thick layer of dust over the entire board. Cleaned it off and the computer worked great again.

What would be the best tool to take the chips out, My fingers?

Also I havent gotten round to connecting the ST to my crt tv yet, The picture on my LCD if messed up, Thats normal right?

The ram on the ST isn't seated is it?

What would be the best tool to take the chips out, My fingers?
The best tool is a proper chip extractor, which looks like a pair of tweezers with the ends bent inwards. You can get away with a thin-bladed screwdriver though - wiggle it between chip and socket and pry the thing out. To avoid bending the pins, you just want to pry it out a couple of mm at one end, then the other; repeat as necessary. They have tendency to work themselves back in at the end you're not prying out, so it'll help if you have something to stick in the gap.

A similar problem happened with one of my ST's, try pulling the floppy drive and then booting up. That fixed mine.

I think the floppy drive is a PC drive as it has it's own light?

Will definitly try pulling the drive, Thanks

Last edited:
It's compatible, and there are drives out there that will swap out with it that are pc drives. On my machine, the drive had something wrong that it caused the machine not to boot. With it disconnected it booted only floppy-less.

It's compatible, and there are drives out there that will swap out with it that are pc drives. On my machine, the drive had something wrong that it caused the machine not to boot. With it disconnected it booted only floppy-less.

That could be just a power issue, the drive starting up is enough to drop voltage and keep the ST from booting.

Back