• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My collection of 250 systems, related software, etc.

Bill_Loguidice

Veteran Member
(basically a repeat of my blog post on Armchair Arcade, since this is the only other place I think people would appreciate this stuff)
Well, after going almost a year after moving into a bigger house, I've finally finished unpacking my whole collection of vintage and modern computer and videogame systems, software, literature and more. I didn't bother to go into much photographic detail or move anything on the shelves (or describe anything in the photos at this point - sorry). Some point soon, I"ll do a video feature on this stuff, then begin to go into much greater detail with articles and in-depth video features. Regardless, this is a huge weight off my back to finally get this stuff out to a reasonable point of access for me. Just in time too, as I needed to start taking photos again for my upcoming book anyway and the publisher all but threatened to take a hit out on me...

The list of my systems, where yes, I do stretch the definition a bit of what constitutes a "system": http://www.billandchristina.com/vgamecomp/systems.htm

The link to Flickr with all (185, linear) the photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9219748@N07/sets/72157600456963111/

Questions? Want to see something in more detail? Let me know.

How long did it take to put that together?

How well do those blue crates work as storage? Finding a good way to store items is important when you get a large collection.

What do you use for cataloging and location tracking?

Do you play any of those games?

Are you looking for one of everything of just specific companies or types of games to collect?

Dude, holy crap! and my wife thought my addiction for collecting "junk" was severe... you bring the term "pack rat" to a whole new level. I am in awe and very green with envy... nice!

How long did it take to put that together?

I'm 34 now and have been collecting since the early 80's, even before I (or most people) knew what that was. By the mid-80's I began to hold onto most stuff and started going after more, and then by the mid-90's I even stopped trading in games (for instance, I sold most of my SNES and Genesis cartridges to get a PS1 on launch day). Now I just hold onto everything.

How well do those blue crates work as storage? Finding a good way to store items is important when you get a large collection.

The blue crates are mostly books I didn't have a place for. The ones stacked high in rows are not computer books. I do use plastic crates extensively though, but it's not my favorite form of storage. Frankly, if I had the room, I'd have 100% of everything out that could be out. Right now the stuff boxed that I don't want boxed really are about six boxes of computer books and six boxes of related novelties.

What do you use for cataloging and location tracking?

Everything is organized by company (Tandy shelving, Commodore shelving, Atari shelving, etc.), then, whenever possible, by system.

I keep a spreadsheet with multiple workbooks for cataloging and I built a database several years back that I still have to get around to using. I have a general idea of what I have, but will at some point get very specific.

Do you play any of those games?

Not as much as I'd like. I play a lot more of the modern stuff like Xbox 360, simply because it's already hooked up. That will change though once I get this book commitment out of the way and focus on other projects. I'm a collector, but I also like to write about and do multimedia projects utilizing the stuff. For instance, the book I'm writing will be a history of the first 15 year of home videogames and computers. All photos will be from my collection.

Are you looking for one of everything of just specific companies or types of games to collect?

Yes, one of every system. Some people specifically collect one company or even one category - videogames or computers - but I love them both equally. I just love technology in general (robots, too). As for software, I really only want boxed software that has some interest (EA album stuff, SSI, Origin, Sierra, etc.), but obviously you pick up stuff along the way just in general.

Holy PODS, Batman!

I think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packrat_(person) should have a picture of Bill included!

Now, Bill, that's not a BAD thing, so don't take it THAT way!

Most of us computer junkies would have 2nd and 3rd homes just to store computers in A/C if we could afford it!!!!!

Me, I gotta tip-toe around the garage, and i have NOTHING compared to most of you!

Tony

Zing, Tony! I should show my wife that Wikipedia entry! At least I keep most of the non-modern stuff confined to specific areas of the basement! ;-)

I'm actually very lucky as my basement is extremely dry (poured cement walls, with drainage channels), but the hot water heater is definitely giving my stuff the stink eye...

Zing, Tony! I should show my wife that Wikipedia entry! At least I keep most of the non-modern stuff confined to specific areas of the basement! ;-)

I'm actually very lucky as my basement is extremely dry (poured cement walls, with drainage channels), but the hot water heater is definitely giving my stuff the stink eye...

Bill,
I have stuff in my basement too. It is not a question of IF water will leak into a basement, only HOW MUCH and HOW OFTEN. I recommend getting a retainer tank on that hotwater heater and drainage hose/pipe soonest. I have had two hot water tanks spring leaks on me in ten years. Also, watch for sewer backups, rain infiltration, flash flooding, burst pipes, you name it, I have had it. This is not unusual in Ohio and if anything, I have had less damage than my neighbors who've had similar problems.

Needless to say, everything of value in our basement is on wheeled carts and or legged shelving. Otherwise it is in plastic buckets or trash cans. Those things which were not have been long ago destroyed. My wife looked at me funny when I first told her about the water leaking in the basement was inevitable but after about one or two leaks of various sizes per year now I think she finally believes me. All her stuff is on wheeled carts now too.

Even, a couple inches of clearance can save you a world of pain. Make sure the drainage routes to the floor drains are unimpeded as well. Test your system by dumping a couple of gallons of water on the floor and see if it pools or gets blocked. Better some clean water on the floor now than if your sewage backs up and gets blocked. Then you are really screwed.

Thanks and best of luck!

Andrew Lynch

PS, awesome collection. I like that Z-100. Sweet!

Even, a couple inches of clearance can save you a world of pain. Make sure the drainage routes to the floor drains are unimpeded as well. Test your system by dumping a couple of gallons of water on the floor and see if it pools or gets blocked. Better some clean water on the floor now than if your sewage backs up and gets blocked. Then you are really screwed.

Thanks and best of luck!

Andrew Lynch

PS, awesome collection. I like that Z-100. Sweet!

Everything is pretty much off the floor, so my biggest concern is splash damage. Before all the stuff was down there, I did have some of the condenser tubing on the heating and cooling system freeze up and get quite damp. That's fixed now, but being around that stuff will always be like a ticking time bomb. It's tough to store items anywhere else, though. I imagine most people have their collections in basements and garages.

Back