• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Games and Puters'

creepingnet

Veteran Member
I collect both vintage consoles and computers built around the time that I really remember as being the most pleasant to be a gamer/computer geek in a hardware sense.

My computers are usually used for both work and play (yes, even my XT clone gets some work once in awhile surprisingly enough), and are often pushed to their utter performance limits beyond what manufacturers could believe (eg. 486's running Windows 2000 professional, 286's running SVGA and 16 bit Sound, and whatnot), however, I'm growing a weak spot for Vintage (pre 1988) Compaq Deskpro and Portable stuff.

Computers
----------------------------------------------------------
Duracom 5110D Notebook PC
Flight 386 SX w/ ZEOS 32 bit Upgradable Systems Mainboard (486)
GEM 386 DX-20 AT clone w/ Case Modded to fit Micro ATX Mainboard
Custom XT Clone w/ Pentium 200 MMX guts running RedHat Linux
Compaq DeskPro 386 (Revision 2 Mainboard), 16 MHz, DOS Networking
Compaq DeskPro 286 (12 MHz), Long Term Restoration Project
MCC XT Clone Model 0A, 8088 crippled by IBM 5150 BIOS to 4.77 MHz

Various Other Hardware (just old stuff listed to save time/space)
---------------------------------------------------------------
"The PC Keyboard" PC/XT compatible 84 Key keyboard
IBM 83 Key PC/XT keyboard
IBM PS/2 Model "M" "Space-Saver" Keyboard
Northgate Omni-Key 102 XT layout XT/AT switchable Keyboard
MicroSpeed PC-TRAC Serial 3 button Trackball
Unisys VP 1337 Dot Matrix Printer
Compaq Portable Carrying Case (Not really hardware, but worth mention)
A massive stockpile of expansion cards and DIP, 72/30 pin SIMM memory
1 Seagate ST-225 Hard Disk Drive (Spare)
1 CDC/Magnetic Perhipherals 94 MB ESDI 5.25" Half Height Hard Disk
A couple old IDE 3.5" Hard Disk Drives (Spares for 486 and less)
Logitech 3-Button Mouse (The original Logitech Serial Mouse)

Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Slackware Linux 96' w/Books by Patrick Volkerding
RedHat Linux 6.1 w/Learning Linux, a Self Taught Guide
IBM OS/2 2.1 w/ Win OS/2 & Multi-Media (Windows 3.1 inside OS/2)
Microsoft Windows 3.0

System Software (Just a small taste)
Borland Turbo C++ v.1.0 for DOS
Voyetra Sequencer Pro (SoundBlaster Midi Kit for SoundBlaster Pro)
The Secret Of Monkey Island (256 Color 720K Floppy Version, 1990)
Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist (Really Bad Shape)
QEMM 8 Memory Manager For DOS, Windows 3.1x, & Windows 95
Turbo Cad + 3-D Module (Very Very old CAD program for 8088-286)
Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer
Microsoft Word 1.0 for the Tandy 1000

I also collect old Video Game consoles, just for play, besides, it rocks to have some friends over for some old Nintendo and such, so rare are there any good "group" games on the modern consoles.

Atari 2600 - 73 Game Cards (est)
Mattel Intellivision II - 8 Games (All in Boxes, most w/ Overlays & Man)
Nintendo Entertainment System - 50+ Games, about 4-8 boxed
Sega Genisis - 3 Games, X-Men 2, Sonic 1, Sonic 2
Super Nintendo - around 12-14 Games, Mostly RPG's and Mario stuff
Sony Playstation - 3-5 Games, Mostly Driving, Emulation, or...Driving

So I basically have lots of ways to spend my time, shame is as of late I've had a little too little time to do anything with my stuff since I've been so set on moving, taking care of work, and furthering my studies in the IT field.

Let me know if you move to Baltimore, MD(or some close area)...my wife and I will come over and play!

You raised a VERY good point, about the newer gaming systems not having decent "group" games. The N64 has a few, Wrestlemania 2000 and South Park's Chef's Love Shack being two of my favorites. They both allow up to 4 players without the need to split the screen.

I blame Al Gore for this....if only he hadn't invented the Internet.... :shock: :lol:

Re: My Games and Puters'

Mad-Mike said:
My computers are usually used for both work and play (yes, even my XT clone gets some work once in awhile surprisingly enough), and are often pushed to their utter performance limits beyond what manufacturers could believe (eg. 486's running Windows 2000 professional, 286's running SVGA and 16 bit Sound, and whatnot)

Yup you're crazy

Mad-Mike said:
however, I'm growing a weak spot for Vintage (pre 1988) Compaq Deskpro and Portable stuff.

I love the compaq portable III

Mad-Mike said:
Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows 98 SE
Slackware Linux 96' w/Books by Patrick Volkerding
RedHat Linux 6.1 w/Learning Linux, a Self Taught Guide
IBM OS/2 2.1 w/ Win OS/2 & Multi-Media (Windows 3.1 inside OS/2)
Microsoft Windows 3.0

you realize you can get newer linux for free off the net right?
http://www.linux.org
i use win2k most of the time but of all the linux's i think slackwares the best

Mad-Mike said:
I also collect old Video Game consoles, just for play, besides, it rocks to have some friends over for some old Nintendo and such, so rare are there any good "group" games on the modern consoles.

Atari 2600 - 73 Game Cards (est)
Mattel Intellivision II - 8 Games (All in Boxes, most w/ Overlays & Man)
Nintendo Entertainment System - 50+ Games, about 4-8 boxed
Sega Genisis - 3 Games, X-Men 2, Sonic 1, Sonic 2
Super Nintendo - around 12-14 Games, Mostly RPG's and Mario stuff
Sony Playstation - 3-5 Games, Mostly Driving, Emulation, or...Driving

i have a atari,intelivision,nes, & my pride and joy sega master system with builtin hangon & safari
the master system was my first console i got for christmas when i was little
i wanted a nes but after i played with it im glad i got it. i think nintendo had
more popular games but i think the master system had better graphics and
i remember playing alex kid all day after school. Sega baseball is the best
baseball game i have ever played to this day i can't play the crap they put out.
me, my dad, & brother would play it all the time even in a power outage
we would fire up the generator just to play it. oh what a time.

nowa days i just emulator them on the computer and output to the tv
it's pretty close to the real deal i use a psx controller i was going to wire
up a real nes / sega controllers but i want to preserve them.

i dont understand why the master system died in america i guess the
nintendo was just too strong. i heard it did very well in japan and europe

Kaptain Skitzo said:
Let me know if you move to Baltimore, MD(or some close area)...my wife and I will come over and play!

You raised a VERY good point, about the newer gaming systems not having decent "group" games. The N64 has a few, Wrestlemania 2000 and South Park's Chef's Love Shack being two of my favorites. They both allow up to 4 players without the need to split the screen.

I blame Al Gore for this....if only he hadn't invented the Internet.... :shock: :lol:

Actually, I'm moving to Seattle, Wa. I plan to get as far from Alabama as possible. After 18 years here It's a wonder I have not gone loopy yet :).

As for the group games, I have found very few, probably the best from my experience was Armored Core for Playstation. I had the demo version of it a few years back and me and my old band mates used to blast each other for hours on end.

Re: My Games and Puters'

joe sixpack said:
you realize you can get newer linux for free off the net right? http://www.linux.org
i use win2k most of the time but of all the linux's i think slackwares the best

Yes, I know, but getting everything I want or would take days upon days of downloading because I only use a 56K dialup at the moment. Once I move I will be getting cable so that will no longer be a problem. Besides, the O/S's I listed are only the stuff I bought, I had a copy of just about every Windows at one time, but I got rid of most of them because I saw no point in having Me or XP when I don't even use them (I hate XP with a passion). I only really use three O/S's and GUI's, MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 98 SE, or Windows 3.1x, and the rest is Linux.

joe sixpack said:
i have a atari,intelivision,nes, & my pride and joy sega master system with builtin hangon & safari
the master system was my first console i got for christmas when i was little
i wanted a nes but after i played with it im glad i got it. i think nintendo had
more popular games but i think the master system had better graphics and
i remember playing alex kid all day after school. Sega baseball is the best
baseball game i have ever played to this day i can't play the crap they put out.
me, my dad, & brother would play it all the time even in a power outage
we would fire up the generator just to play it. oh what a time.

nowa days i just emulator them on the computer and output to the tv
it's pretty close to the real deal i use a psx controller i was going to wire
up a real nes / sega controllers but i want to preserve them.

i dont understand why the master system died in america i guess the
nintendo was just too strong. i heard it did very well in japan and europe

For as long as I can remember we had an Atari 2600 in the house up until around the time I turned 5. During those days I would watch my sisters play Adventure, Pac-Man, and Pitfall most of the time. Later on I got one when I was 8 (when the NES was the thing to have), I may have gotten laughed out of the classroom when conversing about videogames, but I had a ton of fun blowing my older sisters to smithereens in Defender and Combat. Then after that I got a NES and an SNES a year later, which pretty much ruined me for life because around the same time I got into the Lucas Arts Graphical Adventures, it was like Videogame overload until my late teens. I can't even recall the last time I was completely bored (outside of a slow night at work). Pretty much that's all I ever really like to collect except the occasional new PC game once in awhile, mostly bargain bin stuff (I got Robot Arena 2 for $4 at Wal-Mart, that game blew me away with the stuff it could do on a Pentium Pro).

Mad-Mike said:
I plan to get as far from Alabama as possible. After 18 years here It's a wonder I have not gone loopy yet :).
Hm, I thought it was "Sweet home, Alabama" but maybe that was back in the 1970'ties?

carlsson said:
Mad-Mike said:
I plan to get as far from Alabama as possible. After 18 years here It's a wonder I have not gone loopy yet :).
Hm, I thought it was "Sweet home, Alabama" but maybe that was back in the 1970'ties?

Not for me: 3 things, no Work, a few people, and no work

I live in a little place with 3 computer shops, all of which have had the same staff since 1995. I do make some money on the side working for other people as a PC repair tech, as well as doing kitchen help work for $6.40 an hour, but considering repair work comes usually 1-12 times a year, and $6.40 is not enough to live on, and given I have A+ certification, I figure I should at least be making $10 an hour at this point. Besides, you got to move out of your parents house sometime :).

Back