• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My wife wants to throw my 386 on my head

orion24

Experienced Member
She requested a picture like that from the photographer herself, for being pissed off with all the space these staff occupy altogether.

9435r.jpg

That looks like a pair of Ford 8N's (but in 9N/2N paint scheme) put together with hydraulics to make a 4 wheel drive articulated tractor. I'll bet that guy had fun building it.

I grew up with my grandpa's 1952 8N and now use a 1956 Ford 860 for mowing and snow removal.

I think Roger Welsch's advice on tractors ("Never park all your tractors in one place so your wife is never really sure how many you have.") applies very well to all sorts of toys (computers, oscilloscopes, multimeters, welders, tools, etc). I try to spread the stuff around in the basement, home office, and barn at home, and the office, shop and warehouse at work...

Last edited:
Great picture! I keep most of my desktops (I only have 2 21" CRTs now) hidden in a closet. :) I switch them out once in a while when I play different games that require different DOS era hardware.

Yes they look like Fords (or Fordson's in the UK) but they are UK built Ferguson units. Many of these were petrol/paraffin (lamp oil?, kerosene?). They were started on petrol and then switched to paraffin when warm. Paraffin has less duty. Bit of a pain if you forgot to switch back to petrol before switching off for the end of the day.

As for wives, well Pat doesn't like my collection much, but she has enough shoes to fit out an town....

... now how can I smuggle in the 3-d printer....

Yes they look like Fords (or Fordson's in the UK) but they are UK built Ferguson units.
I should have thought of that considering your location. I do see the occasional Massey Ferguson here in the US.

Many of these were petrol/paraffin (lamp oil?, kerosene?). They were started on petrol and then switched to paraffin when warm. Paraffin has less duty. Bit of a pain if you forgot to switch back to petrol before switching off for the end of the day.
I think the nearest equivalent fuel here was called distillate. The old timers tell me it was kind of like kerosene, but not exactly.

As for wives, well Pat doesn't like my collection much, but she has enough shoes to fit out an town....

... now how can I smuggle in the 3-d printer....

Are there any 3-d printer models for shoes she would like to own? I'm sure whoever develops them will have the gratitude of men all over the planet.

Ooh, old tractors. My dad at different points used a Minneapolis-Moline (I think a G-series something-or-other) and a Ford (9N, I think?) that we used back when he was seriously involved in hobby farming.

greek_gods.jpg

Seems legit. I never thought 386s were particularly heavy but I suppose that could vary per manufacturer and whether they're metal or plastic chassis.

There are a few exceptions. My AcerAcros 486 has a plastic chassis with tin shielding. The back plate and 5.25"/3.5" bays are metal but the hdd mount, cental backplain are plastic. I'd imagine other manufactures had similar setups.

Last edited:
There are a few exceptions. My AcerAcros 486 has a plastic chassis with tin shielding. The back plate and 5.25"/3.5" bays are metal but the hdd mount, cental backplain are plastic. I'd imagine other manufactures had similar setups.
My Ipex model PC486DX2/66VL has a plastic 'lid', the lid lined with thin sheet metal for RF shielding. [photo]

Back