• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mystery Card

TMA-1

Experienced Member
I've been mining a long-forgotten junk box of electronics parts and PCBs, looking for buried treasures. I've found one card I probably I bought in the 90's from a local surplus store as scrap electronics, but never got around to harvesting. Now I'm curious--just what is it?

It identifies as a "FEDAC Processor Card" by Frederick Engineering, but my Google-Fu comes up largely empty. What's a FEDAC in its natural habitat?

Some sort of 8-bit PC card, it has 512K of RAM, a couple of ROMs, some crystals, a big serial processor chip of some sort, a whack of logic, and a massive 50-pin interface on the backplate.

Does anyone have a clue what it might have been used for?

Attachments

• photo65090.jpg
    photo65090.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo65091.jpg
    photo65091.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 5
  • photo65092.jpg
    photo65092.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 5
  • photo65093.jpg
    photo65093.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 4
My guess is there's a '286 hiding under that metal plate. Should be able to slide it to one side a bit, then it pops up. As to the cards purpose, it looks like a data acquisition card, I've got a similar card somewhere from National Instruments.

FEDAC is likely an acronym: Federick Engineering Data Acquisition Card. Or Digital to Analog Converter.

Thank-you both. The processor turns out to be an 80186, but you're absolutely right. A computer within a computer--I'll bet this sucker was a costly item in its day! I saved up for months to expand my 8088 Eagle Spirit PC to 640K with the swap-in of two banks of 41256 chips. Too bad this board isn't socketed. And "Frederick Engineering Data Acquisition Card" just sounds right.

Thanks again.

Back