• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mystery peripheral - 1983 Electrohome device with audio, video inputs

Worblehat

Hi,

I've recently come across a mystery device made by Electrohome in 1983 with audio/video inputs that may (or not) have something to do with Canadian videotex (ie Telidon). The FCC registry identifies it as a "computer peripheral" but not much more info than that. Photos below. Anyone have clue what it might be?

photo1.jpgPhoto2.jpgPhoto3.jpg
Photo4.jpgPhoto5.jpgPhoto6.jpg
Photo7.jpgPhoto8.jpgPhoto9.jpg

thanks,
John

Maybe it allows a Telidon (Videotex) terminal to be used as a computer monitor. It appears that the audio input is played through the built-in amplifier and speaker, likely because the Telidon terminals didn't have any audio support.

If you look in the upper left corner of picture 8, you can see three separated wires green, blue and red, going to the din connector. There are three others which, two of them, I'd think were, horizontal and vertical syncs. I'll bet the crystal is a standard color burst crystal of 3.579545 MHz.
Dwight

Electrohome was manufacturing these at the time:

b7f669afc9f38118bbcbaf62abcbd7b5.jpg

Thanks Dwight and vwestlife! RGB separator sounds right. The reason I thought it might have a Telidon connection is that it surfaced during the course of a Telidon-related project I'm working on. I suspect it may have been part of a kit that was used to transfer Telidon graphics to videotape. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question
cheers,
John

Old thread I know.
I bought one of these in ‘82 to go with my Electrohome ECM1302-2 RGBi monitor. With it, you could display composite video. The box would hook on the back of the monitor vents.

CGA graphics with more than four colours? MS-Flight Simulator looked great!

Back