• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

NCR Model 53 Accounting Machine

SwedaGuy

Experienced Member
OK, this is a little off-topic, and if the moderators object feel free to take it down...

It's off topic because this machine isn't actually a computer, but rather a mechanical device. It is, however, very vintage. Originally purchased in the late 1950s by Vulcan Materials, right here in Chattanooga, they used it until 1999, when it came into my possession.

This is a "four bar" machine, as it came with four different program bars for various accounting functions.

This thing is heavy--if you want it, come and bring a couple of friends. That said, it's free to a good home. If you have any questions PM me or post them here.

Thanks!

I think babbage's difference engine counts as a computer, and certainly the military computing tables were!
I'm not up to chartering it's own 747 to import it but...Let's have some photos!

As requested, a couple of pictures:

www.swedafoundation.com/ncr1.jpg
www.swedafoundation.com/ncr2.jpg

Now the machine also includes two drawers that attach to the sides for storage, and the tops on the drawers slide forward to make "U" shaped arrangement, so you can put your posting tubs on either side of you.

This is really a unique item, and I hate to get rid of it, but if it can go to someone who appreciates the history, I'd feel much better...

Yike, almost reminds me of an IBM 402 or 407! Good thing the door barely clears. Talk about a great door stop.

I agree that it is very classy looking...and when running, it also has a rather comforting low hum...just so you know it's there. Of course, when it is calculating and printing it is [[[ahem]]] somewhat louder...

Let's see, Michigan, Tennessee, well, if you met half way and did a quick hand-off.......

Hell, put it on top of your trailer and you could sleep knowing you're not going to get blown away by any tornado, T. Might want to shunt emergency power to the structural integrity field though. LOL

Hey, that just might work. It'd solve half of the problem anyways...sneaking it in past She. I'll just tell her it's extra ballast for protection against high winds...

--T

Actually I once picked up a hitchhiker as ballast, He had 4 suitcases and I had a 2CV. He probably saved my life as the car bounced across a bridge in gale-force winds (I knew that there was something amiss when I saw the breakdown trucks parked at the end of the bridge). there were fences snaking across the road, and oak trees blowing down, both of us were really pleased when we reached our destinations!

Back