• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

(Nearly) Complete Kalok Octagon Lineup

The one in this video:
I’d love to see videos on your rare and uncommon drives!
Oh *that* Type 2. This is a Rochester drive, same mechanism as the 0665 and 0667. I have some 0665-53s, one of which made it's way into my Turbo AT with a DTC 7287 cached RLL controller at 1:1 interleave. Very nice access times, very reliable, wonderful sound.
I thought you were talking about the WD-12 / WD-25 drives IBM shipped with the XT, like this one here:

Any recommendations on a microphone for this task? I've been researching a bit but of course no good answer so far.

I've recorded some drives myself, just using the Mic on my phone. You can do a lot better than that for sure though, although the phone mic is honestly pretty good. Not sure about what the best option would be though, sorry.

I know you can't judge an entire company's product line based on a sample size of one, but the Kalok Octagon drive I have suffered the same fate as most of them -- now it won't even low-level format anymore:

I understand that. Trust me when I say I don't store any important data on a single one of them.
Ironically, the Kyocera has the most bad blocks of any of them, although not to be topped. one of the KL-3120s causes the entire computer to hang during POST if it's connected. Fun stuff!

Looks like you have an early unit, too, one of the ones with a handwritten label. If you've still got it and it's just taking up space, I'd love to take it off your hands. The Octagon I primarily suffered from issues related to the rotary band itself, but if it won't even low level format either the media itself is ruined or there has been a failure related to the heads. I've heard several complaints about head amps dying - Not impossible to fix if you want to give it a try sometime. In my experience, it has been plausible to occasionally recoat platters or just make new ones entirely - Although only with the 3350 type material you see used in lower density drives such as this one. The oxide paint is really the only thing you can get these days and it is not of very high quality, since it is made for compact cassettes.

I'm curious about those last-gasp 120 MB Kalok/Xebec drives, but not curious enough to pay the hundreds of dollars that eBay sellers are asking for them.

Seagate was able to make some very fast, quiet, and reliable 3.5" stepper-motor drives, like the ST-351A/X. But given their track record, I don't think Kalok would've been able to pull that off. If it's the same old rickety Octagon mechanicals, just like higher data density and an IDE-AT interface, then I'd steer clear.

I'm curious about those last-gasp 120 MB Kalok/Xebec drives, but not curious enough to pay the hundreds of dollars that eBay sellers are asking for them.

Seagate was able to make some very fast, quiet, and reliable 3.5" stepper-motor drives, like the ST-351A/X. But given their track record, I don't think Kalok would've been able to pull that off. If it's the same old rickety Octagon mechanicals, just like higher data density and an IDE-AT interface, then I'd steer clear.
Most of these sellers (Keyword: Most) with parts priced that way will take much, much lower offers. If you save a search some will eventually turn up, too, but if you want one soon-ish just shoot them a message asking for photos, then make some kind of reasonable offer. This is how I got my XE-3080, I sent an offer for $30 on a part listed for $200 as a long shot - We settled on $40 and for the cost of additional shipping he even threw in the non-working KL-3120 mentioned above.

They are mechanically identical inside, with a rotary band swing arm positioner. They share the exact same spindle, swing arm, chassis, and rotary band. The platters I'm sure are the same substrate underneath, but they have the more modern chrome/cobalt coating as opposed to the older 3350 style ferrous oxide coating the Octagon I drives had. They also have the newer thin film heads to get better data density out of this new material. They only have 4 heads just like the Octagon I series, but there is some rather extreme sector translation somewhere.

Aside from the heads and media type changes, the only two primary changes to these drives were the lower impedance steppers for faster access times and the new pseudo-servo system, which involves microstepping error correction based on very simple feedback from the disk surfaces. If you listen closely to an Octagon II in operation, you can actually hear this behavior sitting idle on a data track - The heads attempt to follow the platter, and it does an alright job. I would say that this puts them at the same level of reliability, or at least only slightly lower than the Octagon I.

If you just want a Kalok drive with ATA/IDE, you could always go for a KL-343, which is much lower data density and while lacking the servo tracking, probably works just fine. Otherwise you could invest in something like a WD1003IWH and hitch it up to a KL-320 or KL-330 that way.

The ST-325 and ST-351 are very interesting drives - Some of the only slimline stepper hard disks ever made. The only other models I'm aware of are the Daeyoung DX-3100 and DX-3120 mentioned in my first post, both of which are drives I would love to have in my collection someday, but sellers of those units really, really do not seem to want to come down on price. Of the two listed on eBay right now, one said he won't take a penny less than $140 and the other wants $80 for an untested unit that is covered in rust - He even told me it came out of a computer he found in the trash. I will never understand some people.

the other wants $80 for an untested unit that is covered in rust - He even told me it came out of a computer he found in the trash. I will never understand some people.
:rolleyes: some people...
I found a video of an ST-351 series drive, and I have to say it sounds pretty nice! I'm interested in how bad the rusty Daeyoung drive looks, I can't find it from an eBay search though.
Another question - why are the labels on the later Octagons always so yellow? Were they always like that?

I found a video of an ST-351 series drive, and I have to say it sounds pretty nice! I'm interested in how bad the rusty Daeyoung drive looks, I can't find it from an eBay search though.
Another question - why are the labels on the later Octagons always so yellow? Were they always like that?
The 351 is alright, I'm not sure I like it that much, though. It's more of a "clicking" noise than the screech or beep most stepper drives seem to make. I have a 325 and a 351 but both of them sound too much like voice coil drives for me to really want a bunch of them.

The labels on the later Octagon IIs were always like this - It's a goldish brass sort of color, the labels are actually shiny. I guess they're supposed to be metallic. The effect looks rather nice! Early Octagon IIs had the same white label as the later Octagon I drives, and then of course the earliest KL-320s and KL-330s had handwritten labels. Something I appreciate greatly is that the later brass labels actually include the disk drive's geometry, which is nice because the XE-3080/KL-380 don't actually show up in any documentation! TH99 nor the CSC Hard Drive Bible 8th edition include it's specs.

Here is a picture of the DX-3120A which shows the rust:
dx3120_side.jpg
Considering the computer was found in the trash, I'm going to guess it was on it's side for a while and collected rainwater. This drive is probably not fixable without pretty intensive repair. It's listed for $150 + shipping coming from Latvia and the seller, despite not speaking very much English, is extremely rude. This is on top of wanting an outrageous amount of money for the drive. Did I mention he told me outright that he would NOT test it for me, even just powering it on?

The only other unit on eBay is in essentially pristine shape - Looks like it came out of a shipping container. That seller wants $129.99 but will not respond to any message I send him. What a shame, if I could at least get him to spin it up for me, I'd be much more willing to part with that type of money. I sent him a message every other week for about 3 months before giving up. Something tells me that even if I bought it and paid full price it would never ship out.

Ah, that is the one I saw! Just didn't check all the photos. Yikes, that is some damage! Much worse than the dead Rodime out of my PC/AT that got battery bombed...ugh.

Ah, that is the one I saw! Just didn't check all the photos. Yikes, that is some damage! Much worse than the dead Rodime out of my PC/AT that got battery bombed...ugh.
Yeah, it's a real shame. I actually offered him $50 for it and he sent me about 3 angry messages back explaining why "You collectors are all the same" and how I was trying to "cheat him out of his hard earned investments" by offering "such an insultingly low amount". I told him I was just concerned about the rust, to which he replied:
image.png

A couple days later he offered it to me for $125 and then he sent me a message saying $80 was his final offer and that he could not go any lower on it. All while still refusing to even plug it in, of course.

Needless to say, unless he comes down another $40 or at least tests it for me, I will not be buying it. Feel free to put it on your watch list. I actually have a saved search for this model, another one will show up eventually and maybe then I will be able to get one for the collection.

Ah well... You can't win 'em all.

I just saw your trading post thread and noticed you had gotten one of those weird Conner shaped conner drives from the late 80s. I've got one of those (CP-321, 20MB) that's in my Deskpro 286. Unfortunately it broke recently, but it's by far the absolute strangest drive I've ever seen. First off, you can barely hear any audible seek at all on it, it's extremely quiet in that record. It's a voice coil drive. Also, as I learned when mine broke, to get into one of these, you have to get in through the rear side of drive (the one opposite the IDE connector) and the whole assembly slides out of the darn thing! Crazy! I made a video going over the bizzare failure mode mine went into, any ideas?

I just saw your trading post thread and noticed you had gotten one of those weird Conner shaped Conner drives from the late 80s. I've got one of those (CP-321, 20MB) that's in my Deskpro 286. Unfortunately it broke recently, but it's by far the absolute strangest drive I've ever seen. First off, you can barely hear any audible seek at all on it, it's extremely quiet in that record. It's a voice coil drive. Also, as I learned when mine broke, to get into one of these, you have to get in through the rear side of drive (the one opposite the IDE connector) and the whole assembly slides out of the darn thing! Crazy! I made a video going over the bizzare failure mode mine went into, any ideas?
The one in the trading post image is a CP-344. Works just fine! Lots of drives actually slide in half or apart like this, I've had my hand sliced up by enough IBM and Miniscribe drives constructed in this way.
You're right, it is certainly a quiet unit. A real shame, if you ask me. I also have another one, CP-3411, which will not talk to any computer I attach it to. Spins up just fine but no matter the jumper setting it never even acts like it's received data from the computer. Not sure what's up with it. The utter lack of documentation on this model certainly doesn't help either.

These drives were designed at the request of Compaq to replace the Miniscribe + WD translator (or the actual WD 9x0xxA/X drives) they had been using for IDE drives at the time.

As for your drive, not sure what's wrong with it. I don't deal much in the realm of IDE, ATA, etc, especially not voice coil drives as modern as that Conner. Since it continues seeking during spindown, my first guess would be transistor or capacitor failing with heat as the drive is operating. Might swap the controller if you have another one.

Last edited:
Controller board failure of some sort seems like it could be the case, I might check the caps on it later. In the past it's had a seized spindle, which I was able to free and get it working. Then this problem came up and later it seized up again. Interesting that these weren't the only ones that slid in this way!

Controller board failure of some sort seems like it could be the case, I might check the caps on it later. In the past it's had a seized spindle, which I was able to free and get it working. Then this problem came up and later it seized up again. Interesting that these weren't the only ones that slid in this way!
It's worth a try at least. I bet it's the same controller as other, similar drives but with different firmware if anything.

Here are two other drives I am aware of (at least) which are assembled in this manner:
IBM 0661-371:
ibm-0661-empty1.jpg

and the Miniscribe 9000 series:
s-l1600.png

That miniscribe ad is super cool! That drive just looks awesome.

That miniscribe ad is super cool! That drive just looks awesome.
Yeah, it's a shame the only one on eBay has been dismantled and destroyed. I've had some of the above IBM drives before, and I've sliced my hands on them during disassembly at least twice. I've long since scrapped them.

and the Miniscribe 9000 series:
I have the 9380E in my Compaq Deskpro 386/20! It works great and It is truly an epic drive. I thought it was dying at first, but a low-level format brought it back! It only has like 1 bad sector now and has been running fine for several months.

Awesome Kalok collection you have there. Very cool that most of them work too!

I have the 9380E in my Compaq Deskpro 386/20! It works great and It is truly an epic drive. I thought it was dying at first, but a low-level format brought it back! It only has like 1 bad sector now and has been running fine for several months.

Awesome Kalok collection you have there. Very cool that most of them work too!
Nice! Don't see many of the super high end Miniscribe drives anymore. I've got some of their earlier performance disks, like the 3085 and 6053, but nothing from that late.

Given choice, I think I'd pick the SCSI variant, however. I'm not familiar at all with ESDI. I've got a couple drives (IBM 0667, Priam ID330E) but no controller!

As a long term-ish update to this post, I did wind up with a 9380E and a NOS example of a Daeyoung DX-3120A. Both TEC drives mentioned earlier are still extremely high on my list, just below selling a kidney.

Back