• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Neat demonstration of a physical binary filing system using paper cards and a knitting needle

Bill-kun

Veteran Member
Neat demonstration of a physical binary filing system using paper cards and a knitting needle.

A clip from an Australian educational TV show called The Curiosity Show (1972-1990). A few years ago the original hosts began uploading clips to YouTube.

This was a system used for decades before computers. I recall using a botanical deck for identifying plants.
For a computer take on the system, consider the NCR CRAM storage device. Instead of slots and holes, CRAM used D-shaped rods which were rotated to select the appropriate card.
My recollection of the CRAM was that if a card encountered an error, it was simply ejected onto the floor.

This was a system used for decades before computers. I recall using a botanical deck for identifying plants.
For a computer take on the system, consider the NCR CRAM storage device. Instead of slots and holes, CRAM used D-shaped rods which were rotated to select the appropriate card.
My recollection of the CRAM was that if a card encountered an error, it was simply ejected onto the floor.
Does NCR stand for National Cash Register? They were arguably the best maker of mechanical cash registers (the original "cha-ching" type).

Too bad there isn't a copyright date in that CRAM manual/brochure. The photography, layout styling, and typefaces used are very similar to my IBM Selectric II or III manual (can't remember which).

Back