• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

NEC PC-8201 for sale

dano

Experienced Member
Selling an NEC portable, very similar to the TRS-80 Model 100 (a little fancier acutally), includes RS-232 and LCD screen, built in terminal emulator (VT-52) and BASIC and text editor. Asking $20

Honestly sounds like a great little system and very good price. Do you just run it off batteries or do you have a power adapter for it? Have any pictures of the system? Completely OT but why does every state have a Hillsboro? lol is it some important name? (yup..I had coffee and I'm concerned with that).

These machines are just LOVELY. I used to own one back in the 1980s and I did a heap of work with it. It was the first machine that allowed me to play adventure games in bed (yes, my wife wasn't impressed).

Yes, I have to say on balance I prefer the NEC 8021a to the Model 100 (I have both). Mainly due to the diamond-shaped cursor control keys, faster BASIC and the easier ability to Kill a file. I've written a comparison of the two units.

Tez

LMAO Tez. So this may be one of your more difficult systems to keep in the collection? Actually, though the reaction from the better half would be similar, adventure on that system does sound fun.

Yes, I remember typing in CIA adventure from "The Captain 80 book of Adventure Games". It worked just fine, and was a good substitute for a book.

Trouble is with those text based adventure games is that you also needed to have your maps handy. While you could play the game in bed, the associated paraphenalia required (maps, pencil, eraser, notepad etc.) tended to take up more bed space than a good book.

You can imagine the reaction from the better half.

Tez

...Personally I couldn't see any difference between my NEC adventure games in bed and her crossword puzzles (-:

I have a Model 100 and Tandy 102 kicking around and I haven't touched them since I got my hands on them for two reasons: I don't have floppy cables for their floppy drives, and I couldn't think of anything worth doing on them. Text based games sounds like a pretty good use, though. Perhaps I shall investigate them further in light of this.

Not looking to get one of these, but I have owned one before. They are indeed fantastic machines. I had the external color video display processor for mine (I believe it was a TI 9918/9928 based unit), and also a 3.5" disk drive unit (just one drive but I think it could be expanded to two?). I never was able to get the floppy drive to work... never had the software for it. Still had fun with it, and love all the Model 100-like systems.

Back